EVERETT, Mass. – Luke Miller had the game's only tally, and the Suffolk men's hockey team relied on its defense en route to a 1-0 win over Wentworth Thursday night at Allied Veterans Memorial Rink.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Wentworth 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-10-4, 3-8-2 CCC) | Wentworth (4-13-3, 2-9-2 CCC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Miller broke open a scoreless game his second marker of the season 13:40 into the first frame with assist from Jack Jenkins and Sean Henry to account for the game's only offense.
While only one goal was scored, the Rams dominated possession of the puck for the majority of the opening frame, but could not break through. Suffolk fired 14 shots on net, compared to Wentworth's FIVE; however, the Leopards goaltender, Ryan Hubbard proved to be up to the task, turning away each scoring opportunity.
Both offenses continued to struggle in the second period as Wentworth had plenty of opportunities to score, going on the power play twice for four minutes of extra-man advantage. The Leopards put two shots on goal during the four-minute span, but Kevin Venturoso made the pair of saves to keep the game scoreless.
In the third, Suffolk continued the offensive push, but could not capitalize. The Rams peppered Hubbard with six shots in the period, but the junior repeatedly denied the scoring opportunities to keep the game close.
On the other end of the ice, Venturoso had few challenges. He also turned away just six shots on goal in the final 20 minutes, while Wentworth created pressure in the final 1:36 after pulling Hubbard and gaining an extra skater. The Leopards were only able to get one shot off and on target during that stretch.
- Miller scored the lone tally with Jenkins and Sean Henry grabbing assists on the score.
- Suffolk outshot Wentworth, 31-23.
- The Rams also won the fight inside the faceoff circle, 46-45.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Venturoso earned the shutout with a 23-save effort to improve to 3-6 on the season.
- Hubbard turned aside in 30 Suffolk shots in the setback, which puts him at 1-8-1 overall.
- Suffolk swept Wentworth in the regular-season meetings for the first time since two-game series with the Leopards began in 2009-10.
- The Rams blanked the Leopards for the first time since a 4-0 cleansheet versus Wentworth Feb. 22, 2014.
- The shutout marks the second time this season the Rams held an opponent scoreless with the first coming in a 3-0 victory over Becker Jan. 21. The two cleansheets are the most by Suffolk in a single season since matching that number in 2007-08 with shutout wins over Framingham State (8-0, Jan. 26) and SNHU (4-0, Feb. 25).
- Miller netted the game-winner for just the second time in his collegiate career.
- Venturoso earned his second season and career shutout.
Suffolk welcomes Curry to Emmons Horrigan O'Neil Rink Saturday, Feb. 4 for a 7:30 p.m. puck drop.