TUCSON – Behind a complete-game, three-hit effort from junior pitcher Ali Yamakaitis and three hits from classmate Sydney Littlefield, the Suffolk softball team shutout Eastern Connecticut State, 3-0, Sunday afternoon at the Tucson Invitational.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Eastern Connecticut State 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-1) | Eastern Connecticut State (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk lit the lamp early, putting the first on the board in the first after Yamakaitis twirled a three-up, three-down top of the inning with two strikeouts, one swinging, one looking. Littlefield opened the offense with a single and was pushed to second on Karina Miranda's ground out to short. Two batters later, Littlefield came in on Jill Pulek's double to make it a 1-0 Rams game.
Yamakaitis sat down the Warriors in order in the second before two more Rams runs went on the scoreboard. Madison Eucalitto knocked a double to advance Morgan Parmeter, who drew a walk to lead off, to third, before the Rams took advantage on an error by the Warriors centerfielder. Parmeter crossed the plate safely, but Eucalitto was out on the play to hold the margin at two runs. McKenzie McGrath kept Suffolk's momentum going with a single and moved over on a passed ball. Eastern Connecticut State brought in a fresh arm, but it was no match for Littlefield who's second hit of the afternoon scored McGrath for the final 3-0 margin.
- Littlefield paced Suffolk at the plate as the lone Ram with a multi-hit game, with a perfect 3-for-3 performance registering one RBI and one run.
- Eucalitto and Pulek's solo hits were doubles with McGrath also recording one hit on the day.
- McGrath and Parmeter accounted for one run apiece with Pulek tallying one RBI.
- The Rams out hit the Warriors, 6-3.
- Yamakaitis was stellar in the circle, throwing her first complete-game shutout of the season with just three hits allowed and five strikeouts.
- Starter Samantha Valentine went 1.2 innings and let up all of the Rams runs (3) off four hits for the loss.
- Jacky Arndt threw a no-run, two-hit relief effort with three strikeouts in 4.1 innings of work.
- Suffolk adds Eastern Connecticut State to its unbeaten teams list as the Rams took the first-ever meeting versus the Warriors.
Suffolk closes day two action versus Wisconsin Platteville at 2:30 p.m.