TUCSON – The Suffolk softball team dropped a 14-4, five-inning decision to Greenville on its fourth day of action at the Tucson Invitational Wednesday.
SCORE: Suffolk 4, Greenville 14
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-4) | Greenville (5-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Greenville put five runs on the board to lit the lamp, but Suffolk responded in the bottom half of the first with three runs of its own. Sydney Littlefield led off with a single and reached third on Karina Miranda's at bat thanks to an error by the Tigers third baseman. Miranda shortly after stole second before Devlin Frost plated Littlefield on a ground out to first. Jill Pulek followed with an RBI double to bring and Miranda and Delaney Sylvester knocked an RBI double of her own to trim the margin to 5-3.
The Tigers stretched their lead to 7-3 in the second and added another run in the fourth to put an 8-3 distance between the Rams.
The game got out of reach in the top of the sixth as Greenville scored six runs to make it a 14-3 game. Suffolk looked to threaten in the bottom of the fifth and got a rally going thanks to Pulek's second RBI double of the day that brought in Frost. The Rams could not find the big hits in time, though, as Greenville's defense locked up the 14-4 victory.
- Pulek was the lone Ram to record multiple hits in the outing, going 2-for-3 at the plate with two RBI and one run scored.
- Littlefield (1-3), Frost (1-3), Sylvester (1-3) and Morgan Parmeter (1-2) all had one hit on the day.
- Littlefield, Miranda and Frost accounted for Suffolk's other three runs with Frost and Sylvester each picking up one RBI apiece.
- Taylor Holmes slipped to 0-4 on the season. The junior twirler gave up five runs on six hits in 1.0 innings of action.
- Jaclyn Flint and Hannah DelCervo came on in relief. The former worked 3.0 innings in the circle, allowing three runs on five hits and put together two strikeouts, while the latter, let up six runs on eight hits and sat down one batter.
- Brianna Anderson earned the win in the circle for Greenville with a complete-game, four-run, six-hit, two-strikeout performance.
- DelCervo made her first collegiate appearance in the circle for the Rams.
- Pulek extended her hit streak to five. The stretch features at least one double in all five outings with the sophomore tallying one double in all, but one of Suffolk's games this season.
Suffolk closes out day four of the Tucson Invitational versus Stevens Institute at 3:30 p.m.