BOSTON – The Suffolk women's basketball team kept its 2017 portion of its schedule unbeaten as the Rams knocked off their fifth straight opponent, as the blue-and-gold defeated Mount Ida, 81-50, in GNAC action Saturday afternoon inside Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 81, Mt. Ida 50
RECORDS: Suffolk (10-5, 5-1 GNAC) | Mt. Ida (3-10, 0-5 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a 9-2 Suffolk lead to open the contest, Mt. Ida made it a three-point game with back-to-back buckets. Kelsey Schiebel lit it up from deep from three, swishing a trio of triples on three straight possession for the Rams to give the hosts an 18-8 edge at 3:36.
Marissa Gudauskas took over the shooting role for Suffolk with the sophomore knocking down a pair of treys to make it an 24-11 Rams game before the Mustangs took a timeout to talk things over. A hoop from Alexandra Nagri ended the first 10 minutes with Suffolk in front, 26-11.
Alexis Hackett kept the momentum going for the hosts and put the Rams out in front, 35-13, just 2:49 into the second stanza. Suffolk did not look back from there and rolled into a 45-22 half time advantage.
Suffolk continued to pour in the points over the second half leading 67-35 after three, and rolled to the 81-50 victory in the fourth.
- Bourikas played an all-around game with just one point shy of her first collegiate double-double as the junior grabbed a team-high 10 boards to go along with nine points and five assists.
- Nagri paced Suffolk offensively with 14 points, shooting 5-for-9 from the field and set out four shots.
- Caramello went 4-for-5 from the floor for 10 points and pulled down seven caroms.
- Hackett rounded out the Rams in double figures with 10 off the bench and finished the day with five rebounds.
- Suffolk finished the afternoon with a 42.9 connection rate (27-63) from the floor, including a 52.9 percentage (9-17) from beyond the arc and a 66.7 showing (18-37) at the charity stripe.
- The Rams held an overwhelming 56-35 advantage on the glass, dished out 19 assists and had six steals compared to Mt. Ida's zero.
- Suffolk remains undefeated all-time against Mt. Ida with its 12th consecutive win over the Mustangs.
- The fifth consecutive win for the Rams marks the longest with streak for the blue-and-gold this season and most victories in a row since Suffolk strung six together Feb. 6-23, 2016.
- Bourikas' 10 boards are a career-best for the senior.
- Ciarri Formby-Lavertu put together a career-day notching career highs in rebounds (4), assists, (1) and blocks (1) to go along with two points.
- Laina Dowd recorded career numbers in points (5) thanks to a perfect 2-for-2 effort and registered her first collegiate block.
Suffolk carries its five-game win streak to North Country on MLK day, Monday, Jan. 16, as the Rams visit Norwich for a 7 p.m. contest.