PAXTON, Mass. – The Suffolk women's basketball team ran past Anna Maria, 69-33, Thursday night at Fuller Gymnasium to stretch its win streak to eight straight.
SCORE: Suffolk 69, Anna Maria 33
RECORDS: Suffolk (10-2, 3-0 GNAC) | Anna Maria (1-11, 0-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Despite a slow start, Suffolk outscored Anna Maria 12-4 over the final 4:57 in the first frame to hold a 17-6 lead after the first 10 minutes.
The second stanza was all blue-and-gold with the Rams holding the AMCATs to just three points, while the visitors poured in 15 points to take a 32-9 advantage into half time.
Suffolk's offensive onslaught carried into the third as the Rams' stretched their margin to 40 points, 57-17, heading into the fourth. Anna Maria put together its best offensive performance of the night in the finale frame, but there was too much ground to make up as Suffolk secured the win, 69-33.
- Jenni-Rose DiCecco led a well-balanced attack for the Rams as the reigning GNAC Rookie of the Week put in 13 points to go along with six handouts, three boards and one steal.
- Marissa Gudauskas notched 13 points in 15 minutes with the junior shooting 66.7 percent (4-6) from the floor and an impressive 3-for-4 effort from three-point land.
- Georgia Bourikas rounded out the trio of Rams in double figures with 11.
- Gabriella DeComo pitched in nine points off the bench.
- Alexis Hackett and Jordan Hipwell paced the pack on the glass with 13 rebounds and 11 rebounds, respectively.
- As a team, Suffolk shot37.5 percent (24-64) from the floor, 631.6 percent (6-19) from three-point range and an impressive 93.8 percent (15-16) at the free throw line.
- The Rams outrebounded the AMCATS 41-33.
- Suffolk called upon its reserves as it received 32 points from its bench.
- Suffolk has won its eighth straight contests matching the longest win streak since opening second semester in 2017 with eight consecutive victories.
- The Rams are 3-0 to open GNAC play for the first time since beginning the conference slate in 2013-14 with fourth straight wins.
- Suffolk remains undefeated all-time versus the AMCATS, improving to 6-0 in the all-time series, which began in 2011-12.
- Hackett notched double digit rebounds (13) for the 10th time this season and sixth straight game.
- DiCecco scored double figures (13 points) for the 10th time this season and sixth consecutive contest.
- Bourikas dropped double digit points for the ninth time this year to trim her journey to 1,000-points to just 100.
- Gudauskas put together a double figure scoring output with 13 points for the second time this season.
- Hipwell pulled down double figure boards for the second straight outing and third time overall and finished the evening with a career-best 11.
- Ed Leyden used the starting combination of DiCecco, Alexandra Nagri, Bourikas, Hackett and Hipwell for the 11th straight game. That starting five improved to 10-1.
Suffolk is back in front of its home crowd Saturday, Jan. 13 as it welcomes Albertus Magnus to Regan Gymnasium for a 1 p.m. start.