QUINCY, Mass. – Hannah Fabiano's double-double effort of 14 kills and 21 digs led Suffolk women's volleyball in a 3-2 thrilling victory at Eastern Nazarene Tuesday night. The Rams recorded the non-conference win by set scores 25-20, 23-25, 21-25, 25-11 and 15-8.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Eastern Nazarene 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-3) | Eastern Nazarene (3-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Rams and Lions traded the first two frames with Suffolk taking the first, 25-20, and the hosts winning the second, 25-23. Suffolk fell behind 2-1 after Eastern Nazarene locked up the third stanza, 25-21, but the blue-and-gold forced a fifth set with a 25-11 decision in the fourth. The Rams didn't look back from there and carried their fourth frame momentum into the fifth set to take the match, 15-8.
SET 1 RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk leaped out a 10-4 lead.
- Eastern Nazarene used 4-1 stretch to pull within two, 11-9.
- See-saw action overcame the next handful of points with the Rams maintaining a 16-11 edge.
- The Lions would not go down without a fight, however, as they outscored the blue-and-gold, 7-3, to make it a one-point set, 19-18.
- Suffolk turned up the volume and kept Eastern Nazarene at bay down the stretch to take set, 25-20.
SET 2 RECAP (25-23, EASTERN NAZARENE)
- Tides turned and Suffolk found itself in a 4-1 hole to open the stanza.
- The Rams powered back and evened the playing field at 8-all.
- Suffolk could not rally the lead as the Lions stormed back in front 15-12 at the midway point.
- A 4-1 stretch by the hosts lengthened its advantage to 18-13.
- Out of a timeout, Suffolk collected itself and pulled within two, 20-18, and then one, 24-23.
- Eastern Nazarene was able to put the set away, 25-23, thanks to a kill by Courtney McCarthy.
SET 3 RECAP (25-21, EASTERN NAZARENE)
- A tightly contested third set featured six lead changes and eight ties leading up to the midway point of 14-all.
- Eastern Nazarene took the biggest lead of the set, 19-14, thanks to five unanswered points.
- Suffolk chipped away at things with three straight points, but it would not be enough.
- The Lions closed the set 25-21, outscoring the Rams, 5-4, to take a 2-1 lead in the match.
SET 4 RECAP (25-11, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk stormed out of the gates, taking a 5-2 lead, which blossomed to a 13-4 advantage.
- The Rams continued to pile on the points and even the match 2-2 thanks to a 25-11 fourth frame win.
SET 5 RECAP (15-8, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk gained a 4-1 lead to open the frame.
- Eastern Nazarene pulled within one, 7-6.
- Back-and-forth action ensued as the one-point match remained.
- Thanks to a kill by Fabiano and a service ace by Dakhensey Marcellus the Rams gained a 10-7 advantage.
- Suffolk coupled four consecutive points, which included a block by Talia Lombardo and Bridget Allison and a kill and ace by Liz Kerek to seal the set, 15-18, and match, 3-2.
- Suffolk's 45 kill attack featured 14 from Fabiano, eight from Chidera Nwankwo and six each from Lombardo and Kayla Barbera.
- Kerek set up the Rams' offense with the senior dishing out 24 assists. The co-captain chipped in three kills to the attack.
- Defensively it was Fabiano leading the way once again with 21 digs. Lombardo added 14 and Barbera contributed eight.
- At the end, Nwankwo produced five blocks with Fabiano and Allison each recording three.
- Suffolk improved to 7-3 versus Eastern Nazarene since 2003.
- Under Bonny Ducharme, the Rams are undefeated against the Lions, 2-0.
- When the meeting between Suffolk and Eastern Nazarene has been decided in five sets since 2003, the Rams improved to 2-1.
- Fabiano produced her third consecutive match with double-digit kills, leading Suffolk's offense for the third time this season.
- Fabiano recorded the first double-double of her collegiate career.
Suffolk will play in front of its home crowd for the first time in 2017 as the Rams host its first tri-match of the season Saturday, Sept. 16. Suffolk will first take the court inside Regan Gymnasium at 11 a.m. versus Newbury, before capping off the day in at 3 p.m. against Salem State.