NASHUA, N.H. – In its GNAC opener, the Suffolk volleyball team fell in straight sets to Rivier at Muldoon Gymnasium. The Rams suffered the setback by set scores, 25-17, 25-21 and 25-12.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Rivier 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-5, 0-1 GNAC) | Rivier (10-3, 3-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rivier kept its perfect league ledger intact as the Raiders took the first three frames by scores of 25-17, 25-21 and 25-12, to sweep Suffolk.
SET ONE RECAP (25-17, RIVIER)
- The score equalized four times and stood at 8-all, before Suffolk took its first edge of the day, 9-8, thanks to a Chidera Nwankwo kill.
- The Rams remained in front at 12-10, before the Raiders rattled off 10 unanswered points to turn the momentum in their favor and gain a 20-12 advantage.
- Suffolk looked to make up ground, but the deficit was too large as Rivier went on to claim the set, 25-17.
SET TWO RECAP (25-21, RIVIER)
- Suffolk found itself in an 8-3 hole to open the stanza.
- A 4-1 Rams' run put the visitors within two, 9-7.
- The Raiders kept the blue-and-gold at bay, however, outscoring Suffolk 8-4 to gain a 17-11 advantage.
- Suffolk kept things interesting down the stretch and used four consecutive points to make it a two-point set once again, 21-19, and kept things there at 23-21.
- Rivier coupled back-to-back points, with a kill by Hayley Macken and an attack error by Suffolk's Dakhensey Marcellus, to seal the set, 25-21.
SET THREE RECAP (25-12, RIVIER)
- Rivier controlled the third frame and held a 11-7 lead at the midway point.
- The Raiders kept cruise control on and turned a 18-9 advantage to a 25-12 set win to take the match.
- Talia Lombardo's six kills and seven digs paced Suffolk in the defeat.
- Bridget Allison chipped in five kills to the attack with Nwankwo and Hannah Fabiano each contributing four apiece.
- Liz Kerek's set up Suffolk's offense with 21 assists.
- Marcellus' 13 digs led the Rams' defensive effort.
- Marcellus recorded double digit digs for the second straight outing and third time in her craeer.
Suffolk closes the GNAC tri-match this afternoon versus Johnson & Wales at 1 p.m.