NORTHFIELD, Vt. – The Suffolk baseball team opened a GNAC doubleheader at Norwich with a 3-1 victory over the Cadets Saturday afternoon at Garrity Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Norwich 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (14-15, 8-1 GNAC) | Norwich (2-18, 2-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Brady Chant moved around the bases in the top of the first to make it a 1-0 Suffolk game early. The senior centerfield led off with a single, stole second and went on three on a 43 ground out by Trevor Lee before taking advantage of an erratic throw by Norwich's pitcher Jake Ryan to crow home.
Two innings later, a two-out double by Greg Spleliotis brought in Lee, who walked, to turn it into a two-run edge for the Rams.
Suffolk and Norwich traded one run apiece in the fourth. Blasé Cormier stole third during Steve Shamonski's at bat and an over throw by the Cadets catcher Chris Leach let the Rams' rookie strut home. The hosts only run of the day came off Ed Gates bat as the first baseman homered to right field in the home half of the fourth.
The Rams maintained the two-run margin the rest of the way to scoop up the victory.
- Ryan Pordes threw a complete-game on the hill for the Rams. The senior RHP gave up just one run on four hits and one walk, while fanning seven batters.
- Norwich's Ryan limited Suffolk to just five runs, but allowed three runs, two earned, with four walks and four strikeouts.
- Speliotis was responsible for two of the Rams' five hits. The senior designated had the lone RBI for Suffolk off his double.
- Chant's stat line featured one hit, one run and one stolen base.
- Cormier contributed one hit, one run and one stolen base.
- Shamnoski rounded out the Rams with hits, while Lee completed the trio of run scorers.
- Suffolk remains unbeaten all-time versus Norwich in the Anthony Del Prete era.
- The Rams defeated the Cadets in the seventh straight meeting to improve to 37-1 all-time in the series.
- Pordes served a season-high seven strikeouts.
Suffolk wraps up the conference twinbill with the Cadets this afternoon.