NORTHFIELD, Vt. – The Suffolk men's hockey team picked up its first NEHC victory in stunning fashion with a 1-0 shutout victory over No. 13 Norwich Saturday night at Kreitzberg Arena.
SCORE: Suffolk 1 | No. 13 Norwich 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-6-0, 1-5-0 NEHC) | No. 13 Norwich (5-3-1, 3-3-0 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk freshman forward Eric Wright scored the game's only goal at the 3:07 mark of the third period off a wild scramble in front of the net to lift the Rams to their first NEHC victory in their first year in the league.
All 10 skaters on the ice including Norwich's freshman goalie Adam Mercer were scrambling and flopping all around the Cadets net after an initial shot hit off Mercer's should and landed near the crease. The battle was on from there as every player from both teams were diving all over the place to try and get to the puck. Wright finally won out and stuffed the puck over the goal line with a wake of bodies in his bath for his first collegiate goal.
- Michael Levine pitched the shutout with a 35-save effort to improve to 3-5-0 on the year.
- Mercer finished the evening with 20 stops.
- Norwich outshot Suffolk 35-21 in the game, including a 16-6 edge in the first period and an 11-5 advantage in the final period.
- The Cadets heled the advantage in the face-off circle as well, 36-21.
- Suffolk and Norwich met for the first time in program history.
- The Rams picked up their first NEHC victory in shutout fashion.
- Wright scored his first collegiate goal.
- Levine earned his fourth career shutout, second of the season.
Suffolk will wrap up its first semester schedule next weekend when it entertains Hobart and Skidmore Dec. 7 and 8, respectively. Game time in Charlestown, Massachusetts, in both conference outings is set for 7 p.m.