PAXTON, Mass. – Christian Restrepo scored two goals Wednesday evening to lead Suffolk past Anna Maria, 3-1, in a GNAC men's soccer clash at AMCAT Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Anna Maria 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-5-0, 2-4-0 GNAC) | Anna Maria (1-9-1, 0-6-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk got on the board early thanks to sophomore James Fisher and back-to-back goals by Restrepo sent the Rams into the locker room up 3-0. The AMCATS scored the lone goal of the second stanza to trim the margin to two goals, but the blue-and-gold kept them there to secure the victory.
- Fisher converted a header into a goal in the sixth minute on a feed from classmate Felipe Ucros.
- Restrepo extended the margin in the 22nd minute when he beat a defender on the right side and knocked a shot through the keeper to make it 2-0.
- Restrepo tallied his second of the game with seven minutes remaining in the half on a blast from about 30 yards out that found the top right corner of the goal.
- Anna Maria broke up the clean sheet in the 50th minute when sophomore Gift Kalombo answered with his own 30-yard shot that went into the top left corner.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Sophomore Jon Brodeur earned the victory (3-1) making two saves.
- Mark Robinshaw made seven stops from the AMCATS.
- Suffolk finished with an 11-5 advantage in shots, including 7-3 in the first frame.
- The AMCATS held a slight advantage in corner kicks, 6-5.
- Suffolk improved to 6-1 all-time versus the AMCATS.
- The Rams picked up their second win over Anna Maria in the James Boden era, moving to 2-1 against the AMCATS under Boden's leadership.
- Restrepo recorded his second multi-goal game of the season to lead the offense for the second time.
Suffolk continues its road swing Saturday, Oct. 7 as it makes the short trip to Emmanuel for a 12 p.m. tilt.