EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk baseball team secured its GNAC and home opener with a 4-3 win over Norwich Saturday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 4, Norwich 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (7-6, 1-0 GNAC) | Norwich (5-12, 0-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
A three-up, three-down inning from Norwich was followed by three-runs from the Rams in the first. Brady Chant started things off with a single through the right side and advance on a sacrifice bunt from Sean Cameron. An error by the Cadets shortstop Mike Lesco put Seth Coiliey on first and Chant rounded the bases for the first run of the afternoon. A passed ball and a walk from Greg Speliotis put runners in the corner to set up an RBI single from Luke Ronchi to make it a 2-0 Suffolk game. Kevin Belskie's single through the left side plated Speliotis for the 3-0 tally after a complete inning.
Norwich trimmed the margin to one in the top of the fourth. Back-to-back walks preceded a bunt that loaded the bags for the Cadets. Tim Conroy fanned Eddie Gates to put two outs on the scoreboard, but Oliver Brown's single through the right side scored Kevin Lynch and Drew Caldwell to make it a 3-2 game.
In the home half of the fourth, Suffolk went ahead by multiple runs once again. With the bases full thanks to walks sandwiched around a Chant single Matt Brenner drew a walk, the third of the inning and first off fresh arm Nick Landis to gain a 4-2 edge for the Rams.
The Cadets found themselves with runners on each of the bags in the top of the fifth and no outs. Kevin Higgins secured two down with a double play, but Norwich scored one run in the process to once again keep things interesting at 4-3 Suffolk.
Behind relief arm Wyatt Stanley, the Rams handled the Cadets to secure the 4-3 win, their third straight.
- Suffolk's four hits came off three different bats with Chant's 2-for-4 effort leading the way. The junior centerfielder scored twice and made three putouts in the field.
- Belskie and Ronchi each went 1-for-3 at the plate to round out the Rams with hits with the pair of seniors grabbing one each.
- Coiley and Speliotis both scored one run apiece with Brenner registering one RBI.
- Conroy allowed three runs on five hits to go along with three strikeouts, one looking, and two walks in 5.0 innings to pick up the victory, his first of the season.
- Stanley collected the save, with a one-hit, two-strikeout effort in the final two innings.
- Norwich starter Billy Whaley gave up four runs on four hits in 3.1 innings of work. He sat down three Rams and walked four other hitters in blue-and-gold.
- Landis came on in relief and went 1.2 scoreless frames. He held Suffolk without a hit, walked two batters, sat out another in eight faced.
- Daniel Bendig worked the final inning for the Cadets on the hill.
- Suffolk opened its GNAC slate against Norwich for the first time since 2010 when the Rams swept the Cadets, 8-1, 14-0.
- Suffolk earned its fifth straight GNAC opening victory.
- The Rams remain undefeated in the first game of the conference calendar in the Anthony Del Prete era.
- Stanely's save is the first of his collegiate career.
Suffolk wraps up the doubleheader versus the Cadets. First pitch is scheduled for 3:35 p.m.