LEWISTON, Maine – The Suffolk baseball team scattered eighth runs over the first five frames and tacked on a pair more in the seventh to handle Bates, 10-1, Thursday afternoon at Leahey Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 10, Bates 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (26-13) | Bates (15-16)
HOW IT HAPPENDED
Things got going in the top of the as a trio of Rams came home. Brady Chant and Sean Cameron each hit singles to open the game before Seth Coiley drew one of his three base on balls to load the bags. Matt Brenner collected two RBI with a single to right field to put Suffolk on the scoreboard. Three batters later, Kevin Belskie made it a 3-0 Rams game with a sac fly to right.
After two scoreless innings, Suffolk did more damage with a quartet of runs. Once again it was Brenner who drove the first run in as the senior catcher's single down the leftfield line scored Cameron, who reached on a field'ers choice. Brenner came in thanks to a Bobcats' fielder's choice on Luke Ronchi's at bat and a passed ball let the senior right fielder strut in to make it a 7-0 Suffolk game after 3.5.
In the top of the fifth a wild pitch by Bates' hurler Cameron Carlson allowed Chant, who doubled, lengthen the lead to eight runs. The Bobcats responded in the home half of the inning with one of their own, but it would be no match for the Rams, who added two more in the top of the seventh. Chant's second double of the day was followed by one from Cameron to bring home the centerfielder, while Cameron came in on Coiley's single to center, to turn it into a 10-1 Rams' contest.
Wyatt Stanley came out of the pen in the bottom of the seventh. The senior southpaw retired the side to secure the non-conference win for the blue-and-gold.
- Chant had a perfect day at the plate, going 5-for-5 with two doubles, scoring three runs and sniping two bases, while making four putouts in the field.
- Cameron (2-5) and Brenner) (2-4) each contributed a pair of hits. The former, who had one double, notched three runs, one RBI and one stolen bases. The latter, meanwhile, brought in three runs and scored one himself.
- Coiley added to the offense with one hit, three walks, two runs and one RBI.
- Belskie, Greg Spelitois, Curtis Tirone and BJ Neil all contributed one hit for Suffolk with Ronchi registering one run.
- Ryan Pordes picked up the win on the mound. The junior let up one run on seven hits and one walk to go with five strikeouts.
- Stanley dealt the final frame for the Rams.
- Mark Russell fell on the bump for the Bobcats. The starter gave up two runs on three hits with two Ks in the first 2.0 innings.
- Carlson came on and went 3.0 frames, giving up five runs (four earned) on six hits and two walks.
- Robert Jones closed the game for Bates, allowing three runs on five hits and four walks and sat down one hitter in the final 2.0 innings.
- Suffolk produced double digit runs for the 11th time this season.
- Chant went 5-for-5 at the dish for the second time in his career and first time in 2017.
Suffolk wraps up the doubleheader versus the Bobcats in 30 minutes.