BUZZARDS BAY, Mass. – Tyler Zell held Mass. Maritime to one run over nine innings to earn his first collegiate victory in Suffolk baseball's 3-1 decision over Mass. Maritime Thursday afternoon at Clean Harbors Stadium.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Mass. Maritime 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (9-14) | Mass. Maritime (11-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk scored one run in the second, third and fifth to gain a three-run lead. To start the scoring, Will Hopkins led off the second stanza with a single to left and moved to third with back-to-back stolen bases. The freshman outfield came in on Rich Giandrea's single to center field to put the Rams on the scoreboard.
An inning later, a sac fly by Seth Coiley brought in Brady Chant, who opened the frame on a base-on-balls to make it a two-run Suffolk game. Coiley earned his second RBI of the outing as he scored Chant for the second time. With a new arm on the hill for the Buccaneers, Chant singled to left field and similar to Hopkins in the second, advanced to third with a pair of stolen bases. With two outs on the board, Coiley knocked a single to center to score Chant to stretch the margin to 3-0 in favor of the Rams, which proved to be enough.
Mass. Maritime's lone run of the night came unearned in the seventh. With one down, Billy Keane singled to right, racing to third on a Robert Beane safety. Zell then faked to third before throwing to first, but Blasé Cormier dropped the ball. Keane, who leaped back to third on the fake, then sprinted home. The effort was not enough, however, as Zell bore down to get the next two hitters.
- Zell (102) threw 100 pitches over his complete-game on the mound, scattering four hits and one walk, while striking out eight batters.
- Mike Newman (0-2) took the loss after a solid start, surrendering two runs on three hits and two walks, whiffing one.
- Three Buccaneers relievers combined for four hits, four walks, three wild pitches and a hit batter.
- Chant reached base twice on one hit and one walk, stole three bases and scored twice.
- Coiley recorded two RBI, tallied a pair of hits and one stolen base.
- Giandrea notched one RBI on one hit.
- Hopkins scored once, stole two bags and had one hit.
- Speliotis contributed one hit and one stolen base.
- Suffolk won its third straight meeting with Mass. Maritime to improve to 12-6 all-time versus the Buccaneeers.
- Zell earned his first collegiate win on the hill with his second-ever complete-game.
- Zell threw a career-high eight strikeouts.
- Hopkins matched a personal-best two stolen bases.
- Speliotis ran his hit streak to seven straight games and stole a base for the first time this season.
- Chant stole a season-high three bases.
Suffolk returns to the GNAC action as it is back on the friendly confines of East Boston Memorial Park Saturday, April 14 for a twinbill against Johnson & Wales.