EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk baseball team put on an offensive show as the Rams ran past Albertus Magnus, 18-0, Wednesday night at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 18, Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (13-15, 7-1 GNAC) | Albertus Magnus (6-15, 2-4 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk put three runs on the board in the first to gain an early edge. With two outs, Seth Coiley drew a walk to keep the inning going and stole second to move into scoring position. On Greg Speliotis' single to right field, the senior right fielder rounded third and beat the throw home to put the Rams on the scoreboard. Speliotis moved to second on the throw to the plate and came in on Will Hopkins inside the park home run, which pushed Suffolk's lead to 3-0.
The blue-and-gold remained quiet again until the fourth when it took advantage of a Falcons' error that allowed Blasé Cormier, who doubled down the right field line, to come in. Tim Brigham came in two batters later with the sophomore using Rich Gilbride's single to left to score and give Suffolk a 5-0 cushion.
The Rams put the game away with a nine-run fifth frame, which was punctuated by a two RBI double by Hopkins and pushed the margin to 14-0 in favor of Suffolk.
Suffolk added one run in the sixth and three more in the seventh and kept Albertus Magnus at bay the rest of the way for the 18-0 triumph.
- Kevin Sinatra (2-3) tossed 6.0 innings of four-hit ball with two walks and seven strikeouts.
- Jake Flax tossed one inning of scoreless relief with just one hit allowed.
- Albertus Magnus used six different hurlers on the hill. The Falcons starter, Dan Zarnik suffered the setback after allowing three runs on three hits and one walk with a pair of Ks over the first 3.0 frames.
- Both of Hopkins hits were for extra bases as the rookie hit one jack and one double for four RBI and three runs.
- Joe Rufo's two hits each were triples with the rookie notching two RBI and a pair of runs.
- Steven Shamnoski went 2-for-2 at the dish with one RBI and one stolen base.
- Speliotis contributed a pair of hits and RBI and four runs.
- Chant rounded out Rams with multiple hit performances with two hits, two RBI, one run one stolen base.
- Suffolk won its fifth straight game versus Albertus Magnus to improve to 37-8 all-time versus the Falcons.
- The Rams shutout the Falcons for the first time since blanking Albertus Magus, 15-0, April 20, 2010.
- The 18-run victory is the largest over the Falcons in the all-time series.
- Suffolk scored 18 runs against Albertus Magnus for the first time in series history, which began in 2000.
- Suffolk scored a season-high 18 runs.
- The Rams tallied a season-best 15 hits.
- Shane Lake notched the first hit and RBI of his collegiate career.
- Shamnoski matched his personal-best with two hits.
- Rufo had a career-night with career-highs in hits (2), RBI (2) and runs (2), and hit the first triple of his collegiate career.
- Hopkins notched a personal-best four RBI and three runs.
- Speliotis scored a season-best four runs and brought in a year-high two runs.
- Nik San Antonio registered the first hit of his collegiate career.
Suffolk is back in action this weekend as it treks to Norwich Saturday, April 21.