SANFORD, Fla. – Suffolk baseball kept its win streak going as it downed Mount Union, 4-2, to open a two-game series with the Raiders Sunday morning at Sanford Stadium at the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
SCORE: Suffolk 4 | Mount Union 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-1) | Mount Union (4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk's offense got going with one out in the third when Rich Gilbride drew a walk and Will Hopkins and Trevor Lee followed suit with a pair of base hits to move Gilbride around the bags and open the scoring. Hopkins and Lee then rounded the bags on a double to right by Tim Brigham to stretch Suffolk's cushion to three.
The Raiders pulled within one in the fifth after a sac fly and a bases loaded single.
The Rams responded with one run of their own in the home half of the fifth to gain a multi-run distance once again. With runners on first and second, Connor Troio took Nik San Antonio's place in the line and barreled a single to left to bring around Joe Rufo, who reached on a fielder's choice and moved over on Shane Lake's single.
- In his first action of the season, Charles Batchelderput together a two-run, one-walk, eight-hit, four-strikeout, complete-game victory.
- Three different arms worked the hill for Mount Union. Tyler Gorse got the nod and went through 3.1 innings in which he allowed three runs on five hits and one walk with one punchout to his credit.
- Thomas Yuras (1.2 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 2 BB) and Dan Zelina (1.0 IP 1 H) each came out of the pen for the Raiders.
- Hopkins, Rich Giandrea and Lake each put together two-hit performances.
- Brigham, who produced one hit, registered two RBI.
- Lee had one run and one RBI.
- Gilbride, Hopkins and Rufo all scored one run, while Troio pitched in one RBI.
- Suffolk met Mount Union for the first time in program history.
- Giandrea matched a career-high two hits.
Suffolk caps off the double feature with the Raiders this afternoon.