SANFORD, Fla. – Suffolk baseball saw its win streak come to a halt Sunday afternoon as the Rams bats went quiet and Mount Union took advantage to down the blue-and-gold, 5-2, in game two of the doubleheader at Sanford Stadium in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
SCORE: Suffolk 2 | Mount Union 5
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-2) | Mount Union (4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk grabbed a 2-0 lead with one run in the first and third, respectively. Tim Brigham picked up a RBI on a double to center that brought in Will Hopkins, who singled to left field to open the action. Two innings later, Brigham bombed the ball out of the park. His solo shot gave the Rams the two-run edge.
The Raiders sliced the margin in half in the fourth before going ahead in the next inning on a Rams' error. After the miss played ball, CJ Barrett relieved Parker Browne on the mound. Mount Union took advance of the freshman arm and added to its edge on a passed ball to take a 3-2 lead.
The Rams stranded a pair of runners in the sixth, while the Raiders scored another pair in the sixth on a two-run jack from Shawn Baker to put Suffolk in a 5-2 hole.
Suffolk had a chance to make up ground in the seventh, but every time a runner reached base the Raiders responded with an out to seal the victory.
- In his first start of the season, Browne allowed three runs (one earned), one six hits and one walk with four punchouts.
- Barrett tossed 0.2 of relief work in which he let up one run on two walks and one hit.
- Robert Shaw saw his first action on the bump as well. The freshman had a one-run, one-walk, one-hit, one-strikeout effort over 2/3 innings.
- Ben Schroth threw a two-hit, two-run, two-walk, six-strikeout effort in 5.0 innings for the victory.
- Erin Ostrowski and Phil Mary each worked 1.0 innings for the Raiders. The former had a scoreless outing with one hit, while the latter earned the save after giving up two hits.
- Brigham's bat stood out from the rest as the junior strung together a 3-for-4 effort with a pair of RBI and one run scored.
- Hopkins had one run and one hit.
- Gilbride, Rich Giandrea, Zack Aresty and Rufo all provided one hit apiece.
- Suffolk moved to 1-1 all-time versus Mount Union.
- Hopkins is on a five-game hit streak, recording at least one hit in each of the Rams' five outings this season.
- Barrett and Shaw made their collegiate debuts on the bump in relief work.
- Brigham matched a career-high three hits.
Suffolk will be back at it tomorrow, Monday, March 11 when it faces Westfield State in a nine-inning bout at 2 p.m. at Osecola