EAST BOSTON – Suffolk baseball started GNAC play 1-0 thanks to a stand-up performance by senior Charles Batchelder. The right-hander tossed a three-hitter to lift the Rams to a 7-0 victory over Norwich Sunday afternoon in the doubleheader opener at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 7 | Norwich 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (7-7-1, 1-0 GNAC) | Norwich (2-9, 0-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Batchelder gave up just one hit over the first four frames and Tanner Raymond mirrored Suffolk's starter's effort, over his first three innings before the blue-and-gold bats figured the right-handed rookie out. With runners on first and second, Tim Brigham knocked his second ground-rule double of the day to bring in the first run. Rich Giandrea and Ben Isaak collected one RBI each as the sophomore's slapped back-to-back singles and two batters later, Rich Gilbride got in on the single RBI action with a bases loaded base hit to make it a 4-0 Suffolk score.
Another three-up, three down inning from Batchelder was followed by more scoring from Suffolk in the fifth. Jake Bodbee took over for Raymond on the mound, and the Rams used four hits and one Cadets' error to turn their advantage to seven. An error by Norwich's third baseman allowed the first run to come and two batters latter Shane Lake produced a single to score Will Hopkins, who reached on a single of his own. Zack Aresty drew a walk with all the ducks in the pond before the Cadets made their second chance of the day and inning on the mound as CJ Davis came in to shove. The fresh arm ended Suffolk's scoring at three with two quick pop ups to keep the hosts cushion at 7-0.
That would be enough for Batchelder who retired four of the final eight hitters he faced and picked two off, one in the sixth and seventh, respectively, to anchor the four-time defending GNAC Champion to its first league win of the 2019 campaign.
- Batchelder moved to 2-1 on the season behind his three-hit, two-walk, three-strikeout, seven-inning complete-game effort.
- Raymond dropped to 0-3 on the year for Norwich. The freshman went 4.0 innings, allowing four earned runs on six hits with three strikeouts.
- Godbee served allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits and one walk over 0.1 inning.
- Davis closed the action for the cadets with 1.2 frames of scoreless work with two hits allowed.
- Brigham was one of five batters to have a two-hit day. The DH produced the only extra-base knock of the outing for Suffolk with one of his two hits good for two bags. He finished the afternoon with one RBI and one run.
- Giandrea went 2-for-4 at the dish for a pair of RBI and runs, respectively.
- Cormier and Isaak each had two hits as well. The former scored twice, while the latter brought in one run.
- Hopkins rounded out the Rams with two-hit performances with a 2-for-3 showing at the plate to go with two runs and two stolen bags.
- Suffolk opened its GNAC slate in the win column for the seventh straight year.
- The Rams are 5-0 in its first league outing in the Anthony Del Prete era.
- Suffolk met Norwich in its first conference contest of the season for the third time since joining the league ranks in 2000. Overall, the Rams are 3-0 when facing the Cadets in its first conference game of the season.
- The shutout marks the seventh GNAC opening game the Rams have kept their league opponent off the scoreboard and first time since 2015, a 9-0 win over Anna Maria.
- Suffolk is now 18-2 in its first GNAC game of the year.
- The Rams moved to 9-0 all-time versus Norwich under Del Prete and 39-1 all-time against the Cadets in the all-time series.
- Suffolk put together its third shutout of the season.
- Batchelder served his first complete-game shutout of the season and second of his career.
Suffolk closes the doubleheader with Norwich this afternoon at 3:30 p.m.