EAST BOSTON – Suffolk baseball put on an offensive performance as it opened a two-game GNAC double feature with Albertus Magnus with an 11-0 triumph over the Falcons at East Boston Memorial Park Saturday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 11 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (11-7-1, 3-0 GNAC) | Albertus Magnus (7-8, 1-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk started early and often. Rich Gilbride led off with a single, moved over a sac bunt by Trevor Lee, swiped third and strutted home thanks to Blase Cormier's double. Two batters later, Cormier came in on Tim Brigham's base hit to give the hosts a 2-0 lead
The Rams doubled their first frame output in the second stanza to make it a 6-0 Suffolk score. It was almost déjà vu as Ben Isaak started things off with a single and advanced on a sac bunt before scoring a double, this time off designated hitter's Connor Troio's bat. Lee and Cormier each collected one RBI on base hits and Will Hopkins earned one RBI of his one on a fielder's choice, which pushed the distance to six runs.
Worth Walrod kept the Falcons bats quiet to maintain the margin before Suffolk added on to its advantage in the bottom of the sixth when Mike Wagner came in to deal for Albertus Magnus. The sophomore reliever was no match for the Rams. A singled followed by a pair of freebies and a hit by pitch started a five-run rally that featured a one-run single from lee, sac fly from Cormier and a two-run double by Brigham.
Leading by 11, Walrod returned to bump to lock up the victory. The Falcons flirted with scoring with a pair of base runners on an error and a base hit, but a strikeout and a double play kept Albertus Magnus off the board for the 11-0 final score.
- Walrod went the distance and put together a five-hit, two-run, eight-strikeout performance.
- Falcons starter Nick Miller suffered the setback after allowing six runs on six hits and one walk with one K.
- Jay Palais came in for 3.0 innings of relief in which he limited the Rams offense to just one hit and fanned a pair of hitters.
- Wagner let up five runs on two hits and two walks in less than an inning of action for the Falcons.
- Matthew Lewczyk came out of the pen for the final frame for the visitors. He had a one-hit, one-strikeout effort.
- Cormier led the way at the dish with a 3-for-3 effort, including one triple, for three RBI with one sac fly and one run scored.
- Lee produced two hits, two RBI and two runs.
- Isaak registered two hits and two runs.
- Troio tallied one double, one RBI and scored twice.
- Brigham brought in three runs on two hits, including one double.
- Suffolk won its sixth straight outing versus Albertus Magnus to move to 38-8 all-time against the Falcons.
- The Rams improved to 9-1 versus Albertus Magnus under Anthony Del Prete's guidance.
- Walrod matched a season-high eight punchouts.
Suffolk will conclude its conference twinbill with the Falcons of Albertus Magnus this afternoon.