NASHUA, N.H. – Charles Batchelder put together a complete-game, 11-strikeout performance and the Rams' bats came alive as Suffolk baseball handled Rivier, 13-1, in game two of the GNAC doubleheader Saturday afternoon at Harvey Woods Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 13 | Rivier 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (15-9-1, 8-0 GNAC) | Rivier (5-19, 0-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After two scoreless stanza, the Rams put the first mark on the scoreboard in the top of the third. Ben Isaak led off with a walk, advanced to sac thanks to a sac bunt by Shane Lake and came home thanks to Connor Troio's single up the middle.
Suffolk stretched the distance to five an inning later as Tim Brighamand Isaak each provided a pair of RBI. Brigham brought in Trevor Lee, who singled, and Blase Cormier, who walked, on a double to left center. Two batters later, Isaak's single up the middle scored Brigham and Rich Giandrea, who reached on a single through the left side and got into scoring position after swiping second, to give the Rams a 5-0 lead.
The Raiders eliminated the shut out with a sac fly in the home half of the inning, but the Rams responded with two more runs in the next half inning to add to their advantage, 7-1. A pair of walks started the stanza and a Rivier error juiced the bags. Isaak was responsible for the two RBI with a single through the left side.
A scoreless sixth was followed by a six-run Suffolk seventh. A new pitcher and a handful of Raiders miscues let the Rams run over the hosts. Over the stretch, Joe Rufo and Will Hopkins each registered a one-run double and Isaak collected his fifth RBI of the day with a sac fly. The sac hit ended Suffolk's scoring and turned the margin into 13-1.
Batchelder shoved the final frame, striking out the side, to secure the victory for Suffolk.
- Batchelder's complete-game day featured a one-run, four-hit, one-walk, 11-strikeout performance.
- Jake Mainey suffered the setback on the rubber after allowing seven runs on seven hits and five walks with one strikeout.
- Brandon Kelly (1.1 IP, 2H, 1K), Cameron Way (0.1 IP, 3ER, 6R, 3H, 2BB, 1K) and Daniel White (0.2 IP) all came in in relief for the Raiders.
- Isaak led Suffolk's offensive output with five RBI on two hits, one walk, one sac fly and one run scored.
- Troio tallied a perfect 2-for-2 effort at the plate with one RBI.
- Hopkins had three RBI and runs, respectively, with one hit, a double, and one walk.
- Brigham brought in two runs on one hit, a double, and scored one run.
- Suffolk swept Rivier for the second season, winning its seventh straight versus the Raiders to move to 40-6 all-time in the series.
- Batchelder punched out a career-high 11 hitters to improve to 4-1 on the year.
- The 11 Ks are the most by a single Suffolk arm in one outing since Ryan Pordes sat down 11 hitters in the 7-6 GNAC Semifinals win over Johnson & Wales last season, May 5, 2018.
- Isaak registered a personal-best five RBI.
- Troio matched a career-high two hits.
Suffolk will be back in front of its home crowd tomorrow, Sunday, April 7 when it welcomes Anna Maria to East Boston Memorial Park for a league twinbill. Game one is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.