EAST BOSTON – Suffolk baseball came away with a thrilling, walk-off, extra-inning victory over Lasell, 3-2, Sunday night at East Boston Memorial Park to sweep the GNAC doubleheader against the Lasers.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 | Lasell 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (20-11-1, 13-1 GNAC) | Lasell (15-12, 6-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both squads got on the board in the first frame. A two-run single from Brett Sherron put the Lasers ahead 2-0 before a productive 63 ground out by Will Hopkins scored Trevor Lee to slice the distance in half, 2-1.
Suffolk made up the one-run ground in the third as Connor Troio led off with a double, advanced to third on Rich Gilbride's single to left and cross the plate on Lee's 43 ground out to level the playing field at 2-all.
From there, neither team was able to punch through in regulation to force the extra session.
With one dead, Lee knocked a double to right center and Blase Cormier was placed on first with an intentional walk. When Hopkins hit a single to center, Lee rounded third, but slipped, and decided to not risk things to juice the bags. Tim Brigham looked to be the hero and sent a shot to left field, hitting the scoreboard in the process, but it was in foul territory to keep the runners where they were. Brigham's next hack bounced to Lasell's short stop, who got the out at second and looked to turn the double play, but Brigham slid into first, beating the throw and bring in the game-winning run in Lee.
- Browne was the winning arm for Suffolk with 1.2 innings of scoreless relief.
- Batchelder put together a two-run, eight-hit, one-walk, four-strikeout performance over the first 6.1 frames of action.
- David Marsell went the distance for the Lasers on the hill. He allowed three runs, two earned, on one walk and two punchouts in 7.2 innings of work.
- Brigham's game-winning RBI was the left fielder's lone of the day. He went 2-for-4 at the plate including one double.
- Lee also went 2-for-4 at the dish one one double to bring in one run and score two.
- Hopkins rounded out the Rams multi-hit performance with his own 2-for-4 performance with one RBI.
- Troio tallied one hit, a double, and one run.
- Gilbride and Giandrea each recorded one hit.
- Suffolk walked-off for the first time this season and first time since taking down the Lasers in 10 innings in walk-off fashion, 6-5, in the GNAC Quarterfinals a year ago, May 3, 2018.
- The Rams captured their 20th victory of the season to mark the fourth consecutive campaign and fourth time under Anthony Del Prete the blue-and-gold hit the 20-win mark. Overall, Suffolk has 23 20-win seasons.
- At 13-1 in conference contests, Suffolk matched the best league ledger in the Del Prete era.
- Suffolk improved to 26-1 all-time versus the Lasers.
- The Rams moved to 12-1 against Lasell in Del Prete's guidance.
Suffolk is set to head to Babson, tomorrow, April 15 for a Marathon Monday, non-conference clash. First pitch is set for 11 a.m.