BOSTON – The Suffolk men's basketball team will put a cap on its home schedule Tuesday, Feb. 16 when the Rams host Saint Joseph's (Maine) inside Regan Gymnasium at 7 p.m.
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics by connecting with the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #RamNation for an insider's look at Suffolk's teams and student-athletes.
LAST TIME OUT
The Suffolk men's basketball team saw a lot of highs on Saturday afternoon against Rivier, however with highs comes lows and the Rams' low came in the form of a 62-61 setback to the Raiders in GNAC action.
The game also saw Unni check off two milestones. The senior guard made his 100th debut in a blue-and-gold uniform and five minutes into the second half, he ignited a standing room only Regan Gymnasium with yet another wave of positivity as he reached his second milestone of the day and drained his 1,000th career point. He cemented his place in Suffolk's record book as the 28th Ram to accomplish the feat and first since Colin Halpin '13 and Matt Pepdjonovic '13 hit the mark in 2013.
RUN DOWN ON THE RAMS
- With two games left on the regular season schedule, Suffolk is in a tie for eighth place with Rivier in the GNAC standings at 4-12 overall. the 6-17 overall Rams will play Saint Joseph's (5-11) and Lasell, who sit seventh and second in the standings, respectively.
- Suffolk's puts in the eighth most points per outing with 65.0 per game off the eighth-best shooting percentage (41.5). Matt Duquette's 15.7 and Jake Meister's 15.6 points per game, respectively, lead the way for the Rams. Duquette and Meister rank seventh and eighth amongst GNAC players in scoring.
- On the defensive end of the floor, Suffolk also sits eighth with 33.2 rebounds. Adam Chick paces the pack with 5.7 while Duquette (5.5) and Caleb Unni (4.1) also add on the glass.
MUST KNOW 'BOUT THE MONKS
- Saint Joseph's is also playing for playoff position and has down with well with two consecutive wins to improve to 8-15 overall and 5-11 in GNAC play. The Monks last overcame an early deficit to defeat Norwich in overtime, 66-62.
- The Monks' 63.7 ppg offense is last in the GNAC, while its scoring defense (74.2 ppg) is third.
- Quinn Richardson-Newton is the lone player for St. Joseph's to average double-figures with 14.7 ppg. Newton also paves the path on the glass with a team-high 6.4.
WE MEET AGAIN
In a game that featured six tied scores and eight lead changes, Suffolk slipp up late in the second half and Saint Joseph's claimed the lead for good, 62-56, in GNAC men's basketball action January 18.
Adam Chick became the 14th player in Suffolk men's basketball history to play in 100 games February 9 and four days later Caleb Unni also accomplished the feat. The senior guards are the first teammates to do so since John Murhpy '07 and Brad Schoonmaker '07 eclipsed the century mark in 2007.
Caleb Unni cemented his place in Suffolk men's basketball history February 13 as he became the 28th member of Suffolk's 1,000-point club. The senior netted exactly 13 points in a 62-61 setback to Rivier to reach the exact milestone.
Suffolk concludes the regular season on the road Saturday when the Rams stop by Lasell for a 3 p.m. date.