BOSTON – The Suffolk men's basketball team is set for a Saturday showdown with Lasell as the Rams wrap up their season-finale at 3 p.m. inside the Lasers' Athletic Center.
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics by connecting with the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #RamNation for an insider's look at Suffolk's teams and student-athletes.
LAST TIME OUT
Behind tremendous play from Adam Chick, the Suffolk men's basketball team defeated Saint Joseph's College Tuesday night, 58-53, in GNAC action inside Regan Gymnasium.
Taking the Michael E. Smith and Larry S. Smith court for the final time in his four-year career Chick made sure to put on a show as the senior poured in a double-double. With 20 points, which match his career high, on a 9-of-11 performance from the floor, the Northbrook, Illinois product produced his third double-double of his career and second of the season on the offensive glass alone with 10 offensive boards. He added six on the defensive end to end the game with 16 caroms to go along with one assist. His 16 total rebounds are not only a career high, but the most by a Ram since Matt Pepdjonovic '13 grabbed 19 in a 78-65 win at Mount Ida February 12, 2013.
Jake Meister also made the most of his final home game as the senior recorded 17 points, seven rebounds, four handouts and one block. Caleb Unni, who was honored at half time for becoming the 28th member of the Rams' 1,000-point club on February 13, added seven in points and rebounds, respectively.
MORE READING: Chick Paces Men's Basketball in 58-53 Victory Over SJC
RUN DOWN ON THE RAMS
- Suffolk turned its season around as of late, winning three of its last four to move to 7-17 overall and 5-12 in GNAC contest.
- The Rams' 64.8 ppg are good for eighth in the league, while Suffolk's scoring defense of 72.7 ppg is second. The Rams are shooting 41.3 percent from the floor, 33.9 percent from long range and 71.2 percent at the charity stripe.
- Jake Meister's 15.6 ppg is good for seventh in the league and leads the way for Suffolk. Matt Duquette, meanwhile, provides the eight-best points per outing for the Rams with 15.1. Caleb Unni also chips in double-figures for Suffolk's offense with 10.0 ppg.
- Defensively Suffolk brings down the seventh-most rebounds in the conference (33.7) behind Adam Chick's 6.1 rpg, which sits 11th amongst the GNAC. Duquette adds 5.5 rpg with Unni chipping in 4.2 rpg.
LOWDOWN ON THE LASERS
- Lasell has been rocky as of late, losing three of its last five after a nine-game win streak to move to 17-7 on the year and 14-3 in the GNAC. The Lasers were last defeated by Emmanuel, 75-63 Tuesday night.
- Four different players are averaging double-figures led by the third-highest average in the league, Armin Omanovic's 20.3 ppg. Scott Arsenault (13.5 ppg), Pat Marchand (13.3 ppg) and Richard O'Brien round out the top four point scorers for the Lasers.
- As a team Lasell is putting in the third highest offense in the GNAC 81.8 ppg off the third best connection rate from the floor, 46.4. The Lasers are the best team in the conference behind the arc (38.2%) and are second when they are sent to the foul line (73.3%).
- Lasell does not let up defensively, as the Lasers bring down the second-most rebounds per game (41.8) led by Marchand's 10.5, which sits third in the league.
WE MEET AGAIN
In a rescheduled GNAC contest, the Suffolk men's basketball team fell victim to its then-undefeated league foe Lasell, 88-56, January 21 inside Regan Gymnasium.
MORE READING: Lasell Stuns Men's Basketball, 88-56
WHAT IF …
Currently in a tie for eighth-place with Saint Joseph's in the league standings at 5-12 the Rams have already clinched a playoff berth, but where will Suffolk fall? Here are some scenarios.
- If Suffolk upsets Lasell Saturday and Saint Joseph's takes down Anna Maria both schools are tied at 6-12. The Rams would win the tiebreaker with the win over No. 2 Lasell to grab the seventh seed.
- If Suffolk and Saint Joseph's lose Saturday, both schools will finish with a 6-12 record. The Rams' win over Emmanuel breaks the tie and gives them the seventh seed.
- If Suffolk loses to Lasell and Saint Joseph's defeats Anna Maria, the Rams sneak into the eighth spot thanks to Emmanuel defeating the Lasers to knock off the tiebreaker between Rivier.
Adam Chick became the 14th player in Suffolk men's basketball history to play in 100 games February 9 and four days later Caleb Unni also accomplished the feat. The senior guards are the first teammates to do so since John Murhpy '07 and Brad Schoonmaker '07 eclipsed the century mark in 2007.
Caleb Unni cemented his place in Suffolk men's basketball history February 13 as he became the 28th member of Suffolk's 1,000-point club. The senior netted exactly 13 points in a 62-61 setback to Rivier to reach the exact milestone.