WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Salem State went on a second-half surge to comeback and take down the Suffolk men's basketball team, 82-74, in the consultation contest of the Williams Tip-Off Tournament Saturday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 74, Salem State 82
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-2) | Salem State (2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The score locked three times with the third coming at 10-all at the 15:34 minute mark before the Vikings grabbed their first lead of the day, 13-12. Suffolk regain its advantage, one it would not relinquish for the remainder of the half, as Jamal Fiin knocked down a three.
The Rams built on their cushion and used a 12-2 stretch to grab its first double digit deficit, 39-28. The run saw five different Rams record a bucket including a traditional three-point play by Fiin. Salem converted its own and-one, but the blue-and-gold put away the final two hoops of the half to take a 43-31 edge into intermission.
Out of the intermission the Vikings turned up the volume slowly chipping away at the Rams' lead. Suffolk remained in front until it went cold from the field and Salem heated up, rattling off 15 unanswered points to turn the tides and go up, 75-68.
Now Suffolk had to play catch up and Duffy put the Rams within three, 77-74, but the Vikings secured the win down the stretch thanks to a layup by Drew Healy and a pair of free throws by Alexander Santos.
- Duffy led Suffolk's offense for the third consecutive game dropping 22 points. The sophomore shot 50 percent from the floor (7-14) and behind the arc (2-4), while going 6-for-8 at the line. He added three boards, a pair of assists, one block and one steal to his impressive offensive performance.
- Off the bench, Grillakis pitched in 13 points on a 5-for7 effort from the field. He pulled down a team-best five rebounds, setup three shots and had two takeaways.
- Kevin Querusio matched Grillakis' rebounds with five of his own.
- Suffolk shot 49.0 (25-51) percent on the day and went 40.9 percent from long range (9-22).
- Suffolk and Salem state renewed a rivalry, which started in 1969, as the two teams met for the first time since 1995.
- Duffy has now produced 20-plus points in all three of Suffolk's games this season. Overall, Duffy has four 20-plus point games to his credit throughout his career.
- Juron used the lineup of Djema, Hagopian, Duffy, Melanson and Querusio for the third straight game.
Suffolk visits its Boston Commons neighbor Emerson Tuesday, Nov. 21. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.