BOSTON – The Suffolk men's basketball team secured the most wins since the 2003-04 season with an 84-57 victory over Rivier Tuesday night at Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 84, Rivier 57
RECORDS: Suffolk (13-11, 8-7 GNAC) | Rivier (2-22, 1-14 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk broke open a 3-all tie with a 13-4 run that featured six different Rams scoring to take a 16-7 lead as Rivier took its first timeout of the evening. The Raiders used the timeout to gain composure and put together a 6-3 spurt to pull within six, 19-13, with 9:24 on the clock to cause Jeff Juron to take a timeout to talk things over.
The break played in the Rams favor a traditional three-point play by George Grillakis was followed by buckets from Brendan Mulson and Thomas Duffy, which made it a 26-13 Suffolk game with 5:40 remaining in the half.
Suffolk coasted from there, building a 31-15 advantage that turned into a 38-20 half time cushion.
Out of the locker rooms, all five of Suffolk's field goals over the first 4:41 came from behind-the-arc to turns the hosts lead into a 53-28 margin. The Rams took things inside and went ahead by nearly 30, 62-33, with just over 10 minutes to play.
The Rams put on cruise control from there to take down the Raiders, 84-57, for their 13th win this season.
- Four Rams produced double figures with Duffy and Mulson each contributing 16 apiece. Duffy went 5-for-12 from the field and 3-for-7 from downtown, while Mulson shot 50 percent (5-10) and 3-for-5 from behind-the-arc.
- Duffy finished the night with a double-double effort with the sophomore grabbing a game-best 11 boards, nine of which came on the defensive end. Mulson, meanwhile, was one carom shy of a double-double with nine boards.
- Grillakis ahad 11 points on a 4-for-7 showing from the field with eight rebounds off the bench.
- Jim Djema rounded out the quartet of Rams in double figures with 10 points.
- Duffy and Kevin Querusio each dished out five dimes.
- Suffolk outshot Rivier, 43.9 (29-66) to 31.6 (18-57), with the Rams putting together an impressive 40.0 percentage (14-35) from behind the arc.
- The Raiders capitalized on their 20 trips the line, shooting 80.0 percent (16-20) at the charity stripe.
- Suffolk won the battle on the glass, outrebounding the Raiders, 49-35.
- Suffolk defeated Rivier for the 23rd time in the all-time series and took down the Raiders for the third straight meeting.
- With their 13th victory of the season, Suffolk has won the most games since going 13-13 in 2003-04.
- The Rams' eighth conference victory marks the most wins versus league foes since going 8-10 in 2012-13.
- Duffy contributed his second double-double of the year, first with double figure rebounds. Offensively, he has surpassed 10 points for the 21st time this year and 11th straight game.
- Grillakis had his seventh contest with double figures in second straight contest with 10 or more points.
- Djema racked up double digits points for the sixth time this season.
- Mulson notched his fourth consecutive contest and 13th overall outing with double digit points.
- Connor Reynolds had a career-best four boards.
- Lyle Logan pulled down the first rebound of his collegiate career.
- Ryan O'Connell scored his first points in blue-and-gold and finished the night with personal-highs of two points, one board and one dime.
- Nathaniel Illebode posted a career-high six points and six caroms.
- Francisco Castello-Acevedo dished out the first dime of his collegiate career.
Suffolk wraps up the regular season slate Saturday, Feb. 17 when it visits Mount Ida for a 1 p.m. tip-off.