BOSTON – Four different Rams poured in double figures as Suffolk men's basketball rolled past Salve Regina, 95-59, to tip-off its 2018-19 slate Saturday afternoon at Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 95, Salve Regina 59
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-0) | Salve Regina (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Salve Regina jumped out to a 7-2 early edge before the Rams rattled off 25 unanswered points to turn the sides in their favor, 27-7.
Suffolk kept the Seahawks quiet for nearly 10 minutes to build the hefty lead it hung onto heading into the break, 42-21.
The Rams kept their foot on the gas pedal and put on a shooting show from downtown to stretch its cushion 66-39 at the midway point.
From there, Suffolk's advantaged blossomed to as many as 39 a margin the hosts would hang onto for the final decision, 95-59.
- Michael Hagopian led the quartet of Rams in double digits points as the senior sharpshooter poured in 26 points thanks to a 10-for-14 performance from the field an impressive 6-for-8 showing from behind-the-arc.
- Brendan Mulson was one-point shy of 20 as his 19 came off a 7-for-10 effort from the field, which including a 4-for-7 from downtown.
- In his collegiate debut, Max Bonney-Liles went 4-for-5 from three-point range for 12 points.
- Thomas Duffy had an all-around effort with 11 points, eight dimes and a team-high six assists.
- As a team, Suffolk shot 55.6 percent (35-63) from the field, 52.9 percent from three and went just 7-for-12 at the charity stripe.
- The Rams out rebounded the Seahawks, 32-29.
- Suffolk won its second straight season opener to improve to 22-29 on day one of the season.
- The Rams are now 2-2 in the first game of the year in the Jeff Juron era.
- Suffolk opened up its slate inside Regan Gymnasium for the 10th time since 1976 and second straight season and improved to 6-4 on its home hardwood in the first game of the year.
- The Rams and Salve Regine met for the second-time in Suffolk's season debut and first since lifting lid on the 2000 season. The blue-and-gold moved to 1-1 versus the Seahawks in game one.
- Overall, Suffolk grabbed a 13-12 lead in the all-time series with Salve Regina with its first lead over the Seahawks since 2009.
- The Rams downed Salve Regina for the first time in the Juron era.
- Bonney-Liles,William Rowe, Jarret Byrne and Connor Byrne all made their collegiate debuts.
- Shaun Wingfield made his first appearance in a Rams' uniform.
Suffolk will take its talents on the road for the first time this season Wednesday, Nov. 14 when it visits Brandeis for a midweek match that is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.