BOSTON – George Grillakis and Brendan Mulson combined for 51 points to lead Suffolk men's basketball to an 88-57 victory over Lesley at Medford High School Thursday night.
SCORE: Suffolk 88 | Lesley 57
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-4) | Lesley (0-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk scored the first eight points of the contest with Grillakis and Mulson each getting things going early on from downtown. The Lynx got on the board, played their way back and cut Suffolk's lead to one, 20-19, at the 8:04 minute mark of the first.
Michael Hagopian jump started a 11-4 Rams run that put a 10-point distance between the Bay State foes, 33-23, with less than four minutes to play before half time.
The teams traded hoops over the final 3:40 with Jim Djema capping off the scoring with a triple to sen Suffolk into the intermission up 38-25.
Mulson and Grillakis took over the opening portion of the second stanza and led the Rams to a 49-32 cushion before Jeff Juron took a timeout with 14:14 remaining.
Out of the break the Rams continued to build its cushion and a Grillakis trey at the 8:49 minute mark gained a 20-point advantage for the blue-and-gold, 63-43.
One minute and two threes later, Grillakis pushed Suffolk's lead to 27, 71-44.
The Rams remained on cruise control from there and easily locked up the 88-57.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mulson paved the way with 30 points behind an 11-for-19 effort from the floor and a 4-for-10 showing from three-point land.
- Grillakis, meanwhile, registered 21 points, shooting 8-for-11 from the field and 4-for-5 from behind-the-arc. The junior racked up five steals and four rebounds.
- Hagopian contributed 11 points with three triples to his credit to go with four caroms.
- Steven DiPrizio contributed six points and four boards in a reserve effort.
- Suffolk and Lesley each had 33 rebounds apiece.
- As a team, the Rams shot 48.5 percent (32-66) from the floor, 43.2 percent (16-37) from behind-the-arc and 66.7 percent (8-12) from the foul line.
- Suffolk improved to 3-1 all-time versus Lesley.
- The Rams remain unbeaten all-time versus the Lynx in the Juron era.
- Suffolk won its third straight meeting with Lesley.
- Grillakis had personal-bests in points (21), field goals made (8) and three-point field goals made (4), and match a career-high five steals.
- Mulson tallied a career-best in points (30), field goals made (11) and matched a personal-best three-point field goals made (4).
- Mulson is the second Ram to eclipse the 30-point mark this season as Thomas Duffy accomplished the feat with a 39-point effort in a double-overtime outing against UMaine Farmington Nov. 18, 2018.
WHAT'S TO COME?
Suffolk will conclude action before a break for finals in the friendly confines of Regan Gymnasium Tuesday, Dec. 11 when the Rams welcome Roger Williams to Beacon Hill. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.