BOSTON – Brendan Mulson's career night led a quartet of Rams in double figures that anchored the Suffolk men's basketball team to a convincing 93-75 victory over Lasell Wednesday night inside Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 93 | Lasell 75
RECORDS: Suffolk (17-6, 8-1 GNAC) | Lasell (6-18, 4-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
From the get-go Mulson supplied eight points to help the Rams build a 14-6 lead over the first eight minutes. Over that stretch, Alex Jacovides added a spark off the bench. The sophomore knocked down the first three triples he attempted with the third coming at the 11:42-minute mark to turn it into a 21-7 game in the blue-and-gold's favor.
Lasell found its grove and began trading hoops with the hosts. After Jim Djema buried a bucket from behind-the-arc to stretch Suffolk's lead to 14 the Lasers went on a 7-0 run to trim the margin in half. The Rams responded with a pair of hoops from Djema and Steven DiPrizio to regain a double figures distance.
Lasell cut things back to single digits on its next possession, but would not get any closer as the Rams outscored the visitors 9-2 over the next three minutes to take its largest lead of the first frame, 41-25. It was a back-and-forth affair from there, which sent Suffolk into the locker room up 47-35.
Suffolk outscored Lasell, 15-5, in the first five minutes of the second half to push its advantage to 62-46. The Rams continued to pile on the points over the next three minutes as they went ahead by 24, 72-48.
The Lasers transitioned into a zone defense to force the blue-and-gold to beat them from outside. The defense adjustment paid off for Lasell, who pulled within 15, 77-63, at the midway point of the second stanza.
Eventually Suffolk found its grove from three-point land once again to rebuild a 22-point cushion, 87-66, with just over five minutes remaining regulation.
It was cruise control from there for Suffolk, who coasted the rest of the way to lock up the league win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mulson finished the night with a game-high 31 points behind an 11-for-16 performance from the field, 5-for-6 effort from three-point range and a 2-for-4 showing at the charity stripe. He chipped in six boards and one block to the defensive effort and set-up two shots.
- DiPrizio put together a double-double effort of 16 points and 14 caroms. He shot 6-for-7 from the floor, hit is one trey attempted and did not miss at the line (3-3).
- Hagopian contributed 15 points, two dimes and one board.
- Jacovides shot 5-for-9 on the day including 4-for-6 from beyond-the-arc to register 14 points.
- Suffolk shot at a 56.9 percent (33-58) clip from the field, 55.6 percent (15-27) from three-point land and 75.0 percent (12-16).
- The Rams won the battle on the glass, 36-32.
- Suffolk took down Lasell for the first time since Feb. 10, 2018 to move to 8-16 all-time against the Lasers.
- Under Jeff Juron, the Rams are 3-7 versus the Lasers.
- Suffolk took down its 17th opponent of the season, which marks the most wins in a single campaign since going 17-11 in 2001-02.
- Mulson notched personal-bests in points (31) and field goals made (11) and matched career highs in three-pointers made (5) and blocks (1).
- DiPrizio deposited his sixth double-double of his collegiate career, fifth of the season.
Suffolk welcomes Saint Joseph (Conn.) to Regan Gymnasium Thursday, Feb. 14 for the Rams' home finale. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.