EVERETT, Mass. – The Suffolk men's hockey team took an early lead, but could not hold off a two-goal second-period by Wentworth and the Leopards went on to hold on to the advantage and skate away with a 2-1 Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) victory Friday night at Allied Veterans Rink.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Wentworth 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-6-1, 2-6-1 CCC) | Wentworth (4-6-3, 3-3-3 CCC)
The Rams maintained their advantage heading into the first intermission, but the Leopards had other things in mind out of the break. Jake McDonough put away the equalizer 4:14 into the second stanza with feeds by Connor Beaudet and Angus Johnston.
A battle persisted from there before Wentworth gained its first lead of the night at the 10:55 minute mark when Georgy Gordetskii struck. Adam Tracey and Adam Lane each assisted on the eventual game-winner.
In the third, Suffolk attempted a comeback and outshot the Leopards, 10-8. Each of the Rams attempts were denied and the blue-and-gold's last ditch effort of pulling Michael Levine from between the pipes to add an extra skater, but Wentworth held onto the 2-1 conference victory.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Levine made 33 stops in the setback.
- Kenny Graham improved to 2-2-2 on the season thanks to a 32-save effort.
- Bryan was the lone goal scorer for Suffolk with Brooks and Bucher each earning assists.
- Wentworth held a slim edge in shots, 35-33.
- Suffolk commanded the faceoff circle, 37-33.
- Suffolk and Wentworth met for the 30th time since 1999.
- Bryan recorded his first goal of the season to tally a point in the last two games he appeared.
- Brooks stretched his point streak to eight straight games. The sophomore has notched 10 points through the stretch on four goals and six helpers.
Suffolk and Wentworth will tangle in a rematch tomorrow night Saturday, Dec. 9. Puck drop at Emmons Horrigan O'Neil Memorial Rink is set for 7:30 p.m.