SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – The Suffolk men's hockey team could not hold off a red-hot Skidmore squad that scored six unanswered points to take down the Rams, 6-1, Friday night at Saratoga City Rink.
SCORE: Suffolk 1 | Skidmore 6
RECORDS: Suffolk (8-15-0, 5-12-0 NEHC) | Skidmore (12-9-3, 8-6-3 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Skidmore lit the lamp twice in each period to put Suffolk in a six-goal hole it could not climb out of.
Joseph Mortillaro was able to erase the shutout for the Rams as the sophomore put the blue-and-gold on the board at the 13:23 mark of the third. Jared McCracken and Brian Brooks set-up the forward on the power play.
The goal came too little too late as the Rams were unable to rally around it as the score stood 6-1 in the Thoroughbreds favor.
- Michael Levine had 34 saves in the setback.
- Brandon Kasel collected 25 stops in the victory.
- Mortillaro was responsible for Suffolk's lone goal with McCracken and Brooks each recording an assist on the score.
- Skidmore outshot Suffolk, 40-26.
- The Thoroughbreds edged out the Rams in the face-off dot, 35-34.
- Each squad went 1-for-4 on the power play.
- Brooks is on a two-game point streak in which he racked up four points on one goal and three helpers.
- McCracken matched a career-high in points (1) and assists (1).
- Mortillaro found the back of the net for the sixth time this season.
Suffolk caps off the regular season tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 9 at No. 11/13 Hobart. Game time is set for 4 p.m.