WORCESTER, Mass. – An underclassmen contingent paced Suffolk men's hockey to a 5-2 victory over Becker in the consolation contest of the Steve Hoar Invitational Sunday night at Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center.
SCORE: Suffolk 5 | Becker 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-6-0) | Becker (2-8-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Rams quickly got on the board, scoring 2:06 into the game when Max Rand potted his first put to put the visitors ahead by one. Rand's classmate Alex Kolowrat and Griffin Clark aided in the first goal of the night.
The Hawks soon found the equalizer when Phillip Garcia scored on the power play with help from Trey McMillen and Ian Zalewski at the midway point of the first frame.
Things leveled at 2-all out of the locker room when Jason Diamond put away a goal 1:51 into the middle period. The power play, game-tying goal was assisted by Mikey Wilson and Shawn Peckham.
Kolowrat retook the lead for the blue-and-gold at the 7:33 mark of the second stanza. Clark aided on the marker along with Joseph Mortillaro.
The Rams added to their advantage with 8:13 left in the second period when Billy Roche netted his third goal of the year. Mortillaro and Joe Feeney helped push Suffolk's cushion to 4-2 at the second intermission.
At 6:51 in the third period Suffolk pulled away. Clark, who already had two assists on the night, added a goal to his stat line to make it a 5-2 Suffolk score. Rand and John Garrity each assisted on the strike, which heled up for the finale score.
- Cal Wilcox recorded 35 saves for his win of the season.
- Cody Foster finished the night with 34 stops.
- Ten skaters combined for 15 points on the net, 13 of which were registered by underclassmen including nine by true freshman.
- Clark's three-point performance on one goal and two assists paved the way for the blue-and-gold's attack.
- Kolowrat (1g, 1a), Mortillaro (2a) and Rand (1g, 1a) each produced two points.
- Lachaine and Roche rounded out the goal scorers with one each.
- Feeney, Garrity, Lowe and Montgomery all handed out one assist.
- Suffolk outshot Becker, 39-37.
- The Hawks held the edge in face-offs, 39-32.
- Suffolk defeated Becker for the fourth straight meeting to improve to 12-9-3 versus the Hawks all time.
- Wilcox tallied his first collegiate win between the pipes and was one stop shy of a career-high.
- Rand registered his first collegiate goal and notched a career-high in points with two.
- Clark tallied his first collegiate points and finished with one goal and two helpers.
- Mortillaro handed out a career-high two assists.
- Feeney matched a personal-best one assist.
- Kolowrat matched a career-high two points with a one-goal, one-assist effort.
- Garrity dished out his second assist of his career.
- Lachaine matched a personal-high one-goal effort.
Suffolk closes first semester this weekend at UMass Boston and Babson. The Rams will first stop by the Beacons Friday, Dec. 6 at 7 p.m., before visiting the Beavers the next day, Saturday, Dec. 7 at 4 p.m.