EAST BOSTON, Mass. – Lesley broke a scoreless tie in the 106th minute to steal a victory from the Suffolk men's soccer team Monday evening at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Lesley 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-3) | Lesley (1-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After the teams traded penalty kicks in the first seven minutes of play, they played evenly throughout regulation to force the overtime session. Neither team secured a shot in the first extra 10 minutes and Nuno Pereira's golden goal came 5:36 minutes into the second. In a cluster in front of Kyle Van Cleef's net, Pereira picked put the rock and snuck it past the reigning GNAC Corvias Goalie of the week to give Lesley its first win of the year.
- Just over five minutes into the action, Suffolk was whistled for a foul inside the box, setting up the Lynx nicely for their first tally on the year. On a penalty kick, Chris Anderson faked left and easily scored on Van Cleef's right to put the visitors up 1-0.
- Nearly two minutes later the Rams had a PK of their own. James Webb was no match for Aaron Haggas' rocket and the score locked at 1-all.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Van Cleef stopped seven Lynx attempts in the setback.
- Webb used eight saves en route to his first victory of 2016.
- Suffolk played its its first overtime game of the season, the first since a 1-0 shutout versus Saint Joseph's (Maine) Oct. 10, 2015 and its first double OT game since a 1-1 draw against Mount Ida Sept. 12, 2015.
Suffolk takes one day off before stopping by Pine Manor for a mid-week non-conference contest Wednesday, Sept. 14. Game time is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.