EAST BOSTON, Mass. – The Suffolk men's soccer team suffered its first GNAC setback of the season as Johnson & Wales downed the Rams, 4-1, Saturday afternoon at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Johnson & Wales 4
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-5-0, 1-1-0 GNAC) | Johnson & Wales (6-2-1, 2-0-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Johnson & Wales broke open a 1-1 first-half tie with three second-half goals to overcome the Rams, 4-1.
- Jon Brodeur made a diving save to stop Teagan Drake's breakaway attempt. Suffolk's first-year netminder, however, was on the ground when Jason Cruz picked up the pieces and put the rebound away. Cruz first goal of the season put the Wildcats up, 1-0 at the 23rd minute mark.
- Off a corner, Jarrett Davis drew JWU's defense out and slide a scoring pass to Tken To. To's one-timer flew over Jon Robbins' head to lock things at 1-1, at 36:15.
- With 34:16 remaining on the clock, Johnson & Wales regained a one-goal lead. Suffolk's defense tried to clear the box of Erik Schneider's lob throw in. The clearing kick landed right on Andrew Vecere's cleat, who took advantage and tucked the ball into the Rams' net for the 2-1 lead.
- Rob Zukofsky's second goal of season came on a fee from Vecere in the 79th minute. Vecere, who picked up a cross from Xavier Carty, slide the ball to Zukofsky. The senior midfielder fired from dead center 15-yards out and sent the rock into the netting to give the Wildcats a two-goal lead.
- Another Schneider throw in led to a JWU score. Carty perfectly connected to Schneider's toss used a curve header to push the Wildcats lead to three, 34-1, at 83:44.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Jon Brodeur turned away eight Wildcats attempts in his third collegiate start.
- Jon Robbins picked up his first victory thanks to a two-save effort.
- Tkhen To's first goal of the season marks the first for Suffolk against Johnson & Wales since Oct. 5, 2013.
Suffolk takes a week off before entertain Lasell at East Boston Memorial Park next Saturday, Oct. 1 at 1 p.m.