NEWTON, Mass. – Freshman Jarrett Davis put together a career night to lead the Suffolk men's soccer team to a shutout win at Mount Ida Wednesday night at Alumni Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 4, Mt. Ida 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-5-0, 3-1-0) | Mt. Ida (4-6-2, 1-3-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Davis got the score going in the 19th minute and assisted on the Ram's second goal of the day less than five minutes later to give Suffolk a 2-0 cushion as the teams' headed into the locker room. Out of the break, Davis put away his second goal of the day and also had a hand in the Rams' final tally to send Suffolk to victory.
- Davis put his first goal of the day and second of the season away from 30-yards out unassisted.
- The midfielder set up Alvin Di on a free kick. Di headed the ball past the Mustangs' keeper, Riley Ford, for his second goal of the year.
- Another unassisted tally for Davis came in the 59th minute. He picked up a loose ball in front of Mt. Ida's net and fired the rock into the netting from six yards out.
- Mathias Baboun etched his name on the scorecard for the first time this season thanks to a Davis setup at 81:07.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Jon Brodeur held off the Mustangs in the net for the Rams as the freshman made four saves to move to 3-2 on the season.
- Despite five saves, Ford suffered the setback in between the pipes for Mt. Ida.
- Suffolk notched back-to-back shutouts for the first time since 2013 when it blanked Anna Maria (4-0, Sept. 21) and Eastern Nazarene (3-0, Sept. 25).
- The Rams recorded their third cleansheet of the season, the most for Suffolk since blanking four opponents in 2012.
- Suffolk moved to 8-3-2 against Mt. Ida since 2003. During that stretch the Rams have now outscored the Mustangs, 28-14.
- Davis had a hand in every score for Suffolk for six points. He is the second Ram to notch six points in one game this season as Alberto Bittan has achieved the feat twice.
Suffolk treks to Northfield, Vermont, Saturday, Oct. 8 for a GNAC contest at Norwich. Game time is set to begin at 1 p.m.