BOSTON – It took one overtime, but the Suffolk men's soccer team escaped from Emmanuel with a victory thanks to a Alberto Bittan goal in the 92nd minute to clinch the win.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Emmanuel 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-6-0, 4-2-0 GNAC) | Emmanuel (5-7-2, 2-3-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The two squads traded shots throughout the first half with both Jon Brodeur and Jonathan Ferraini coming up with crucial saves to protect the clean sheet through 45 minutes.
More of the same continued in the second with both sides nearly capitalizing as time wore on, but 90 minutes drew by with no score as both teams readied for overtime.
Just over a minute into the OT period Bittan and the Rams made a move. Jordan Casey sent in a through ball and Bittan fired from the 15-yard line over the left shoulder of Ferraini for the win.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Brodeur turned aside the Saints lone attempt on target to collect his third cleansheet of the season.
- Ferrarini made six saves in the setback.
- For the first time in the all-time series since 2002, Suffolk and Emmanuel needed extra time to decide a winner.
- The Rams played its second overtime game of 2016.
- Suffolk captured its first overtime win since a 2-1 double overtime win against Regis Sept. 17, 2014.
- Suffolk notched its fourth cleansheet of the season, the most since matching that number in 2012.
- The Rams move to 11-5 against the Saints since 2002.
- Bittan notched his fourth game-winner of the season, eighth of his career and first in overtime.
Suffolk remains at home Saturday, Oct. 15 when the Rams welcome Anna Maria to East Boston Memorial Park's James A. Sartori Stadium. The contest, which takes place during Suffolk's second annual Rams Fan Fest, is set to begin at 1 p.m.