BOSTON – For the second straight season, Suffolk and Emmanuel went into overtime, but this time neither the Rams nor the Saints came out on top as the team's played to a 1-1 stalemate at Roberto Clemente Field Saturday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Emmanuel 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-5-1, 2-4-1 GNAC) | Emmanuel (1-5-6, 1-1-4 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk struck first, grabbing an early 1-0 lead thanks to Jack O'Connor's first collegiate goal. The Rams maintained their 1-0 lead into the half, but the Saints evened the playing field early in the second stanza.
Neither team was able to find the back of the netting through the remainder of regulation, forcing overtime. The two fatigued sides battled throughout overtime without generating many scoring chances; the shots read Emmanuel 2, Suffolk 2.
- The Rams connected on a corner kick setup by sophomore midfielder Christian Restrepo. O'Connor finished the play with a powerful header.
- Eymar Principe headed in a perfectly played corner by Cameron Messier to begin the second half knotting the game up at one apiece.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Kyle Van Cleef kept things tidy in the back coming out of the area to clear balls played in behind the back line. The junior keeper made one save in the second half, but thwarted many more opportunities with his aggressive play to finish the day with five stops.
- Jonahthan Ferrarini ended the outing with nine saves.
- Suffolk outshot Emmanuel, 17-10, on the afternoon.
- The Rams edged the Saints in corner kicks, 9-6.
- Suffolk played its first overtime contest of 2017.
- The overtime outing is the first for the blue-and-gold since Suffolk's 1-0 win over Emmanuel last season, Oct. 10, 2016.
- The Rams and Saints tied for the first time in the series history dating back to 2003.
- Suffolk and Emmanuel went into overtime for the third time in the all-time meetings dating back to 2003.
- The Rams are 2-0-1 in extra session games versus the Saints.
- In the James Boden era, Suffolk is 1-3-2 in overtime contests.
Suffolk remains on the road as it travels to Nashua, New Hampshire, Wednesday, Oct. 11 to clash with the Raiders of Rivier. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.