NEW LONDON, Conn. – Simon Velez Angel's goal would not be enough to fuel a Suffolk men's soccer comeback as Mitchell hung onto its lead to take down the Rams, 2-1, Wednesday afternoon at Alumni Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Mitchell 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-10-1) | Mitchell (4-7-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Mitchell put Suffolk in a two-goal hole to force the Rams to play catchup.
The Mariners broke open the scoring in the 20th minute behind an unassisted strike from William Ferguson.
Feguson's score was the lone over the first 45 minutes to send Suffolk to the locker room down by just one. Out of the break, the Mariners converted their second goal just 58 seconds into the action with Ferguson setting up Eduardo Tineo.
Velez Angel split the deficit in half with a goal in the 53rd minute thanks to a handout from Sal Perrotto.
Mitchell kept Suffolk off the scoreboard the remainder of the way including the final 10 minutes where the Rams peppered the Mariners' keeper Seth Strader with four attempts. Strader stood tall to secure the 2-1 victory for the hosts.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Tom Bennett picked up five saves in the setback.
- Strader turned aside five attempts for the victory.
- Velez Angel scored Suffolk's lone goal with Perrotto handing out the assist.
- The Rams and Mariners each had 15 shots in the non-conference contests.
- Mitchell had the upper hand in shots on goal, 7-5, and a massive advantage in corners, 9-5.
- Suffolk and Mitchell met for the first time.
- Velez Angel is on a three-game point streak, scoring each of his three goals this season over the last three outings.
Suffolk welcomes Anna Maria to James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park Saturday, Oct. 13 for the fourth annual Rams Fan Fest. Prior to the 1 p.m. first kick, the Rams will honor the playing careers of their members of the Suffolk University Class of 2019; Jordan Casey, Alex Desaulnier, David Haines and Joel Shulman.