CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Suffolk men's tennis put together a comeback thriller to take down Curry, 5-4, for its first victory of the 2018 season Wednesday night at Buckingham, Browne & Nichols.
SCORE: Suffolk 5, Curry 4
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-1) | Curry (0-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Curry quickly put Suffolk in a two-point hole as the Colonels won the doubles matches on courts one and two. The partnership of Rami Esrawi and Kevin Greenman cut the deficit in half with a big 8-6 victory over Samuel Pitts and Zach Muller in the third doubles point to make it a one-point match heading into singles action.
Omar Azzaoui evened the playing field at 2-all as the sophomore downed Dawson Stenton 6-3, 6-2 in the second slot. Ariel Ilarslan Russo gave the Rams their first lead of the day behind a 7-5, 6-3, decision over Aidan Roach on court one before Cameron Roach set-up match one with a 6-1, 6-1, victory over Nicholas Piotrowski at No. 4.
Mike DeFelice clinched the win for Suffolk thanks to a come-from-behind 2-6, 6-0, 6-1 rally past Richie Hefler.
With the match already locked in the blue-and-gold's favor, the Colonels took points on courts five and six, respectively, for the final 5-4 margin.
- Suffolk improved to 5-1 against Curry dating back to 2009.
- The Rams won their second 5-4 match over the Colonels since the 2009 season.
- The doubles team of Esrawi and Greenman improved to 2-0 on the season.
- Azzaoui is unbeaten in singles action this season at 2-0 on courts one (1-0) and two (1-0).
- Ilarslan Russo wore Suffolk blue-and-gold for the first time and picked up his first win as a Ram as the team's ace.
- DeFelice made his collegiate debut and did so in winning fashion in the third singles spot.
- DeFelice put together his first golden set in singles play.
1 – Ariel Ilarslan Russo (Suffolk) defeated Aidan Roach (Curry), 7-5, 6-3
2 – Omar Azzaoui (Suffolk) defeated Dawson Stento (Curry), 6-3, 6-2
3 – Mike DeFelice (Suffolk) defeated Richi Hefler (Curry), 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
4 – Cameron Roach (Suffolk) defeated Nicholas Piotrowski (Curry), 6-1, 6-1
5 – Zach Muller (Curry) defeated Charles Tang (Suffolk), 6-2, 6-2
6 – Samuel Pitts (Curry) defeated David Grujic (Suffolk), 6-1, 6-2
1 – Aidan Roach/Dawson Stento (Curry) defeated Ariel Ilarslan Russo/Mike DeFelice (Suffolk), 8-4
2 – Richie Hefler/Nicholas Piotrowski (Curry) defeated Cameron Roadh/Omar Azzaoui (Suffolk), 8-6
3 – Rami Esrawi/Kevin Greenman (Suffolk) defeated Samuel Pitts/Zach Muller (Curry), 8-6
ORDER OF FINISH (D) 1, 2, 3 (S) 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5
Suffolk is back in action tomorrow, Thursday, March 29 as it clashes with UMass Boston at BB&N. First serve is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.