TUCSON – The Suffolk softball team fell to Hamline, 6-3, in the opener of its final day at the Tucson Invitational Thursday morning.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Hamline 6
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-6) | Hamline (3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Hamline opened in the scoring in the top half of the first, but Suffolk responded with three runs of its own to gain a 3-1 lead. Singles from lead off Sydney Littlefield and Karina Miranda set up a scoring play for Devlin Frost. The junior and the Rams' runners took advantage of a Piper's error to advance with LIttlefield coming home to even the playing field at 1-all. In the next at bat, Jill Pulek's double scored Miranda and Frost and make it a 3-1 Suffolk game.
The score held at 3-1 Suffolk until Hamline equalized the contest at 3-all with two runs in the top of the third. The visitors tacked on two more in the fourth to gain an edge and added another in the seventh for good measure.
Trying to play catch up, Pulek singled with two outs in the bottom of the seventh, but the Pipers arm sat down Morgan Parmeter looking to cap the 6-3 win.
- Pulek had a stand out day at the plate with a 3-for-4 effort including a double and two RBIs to pace the Rams.
- Littlefield also had a multiple hit day, going 2-for-2 at the plate, with one run scored.
- Frost accounted for one RBI and one runs scored with Miranda also crossing home plate once for the blue-and-gold.
- Taylor Holmes pitched her first complete-game of the season, suffering the setback, letting up six runs, five earned, off nine hits. The sophomore walked four batters and struck out two.
- Sarah DeMars picked up the win in the circle for Hamline in 4.0 innings of work, which she let up three runs on five hits and sat down four hitters.
- Casey Anderson earned the save in a three-hit, three-strikeout 3.0 innings of work day.
- Pulek stretched her hit streak to seven, producing at least one hit in all, but one game for Suffolk this season. The sophomore also rocked her eighth double of the year, hitting at least one double in all, but two games for the Rams this campaign.
Suffolk wraps up its Tucson Trip versus Dickinson this afternoon.