CLERMONT, Fla. – Stellar pitching by Payton Sylvester backed up by composed defense, combined with the a heavy hit fourth inning was all the Suffolk softball needed to take down UMass Dartmouth, 3-0, Wednesday afternoon at Hancock Park as part of The Spring Games.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, UMass Dartmouth 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-2) | UMass Dartmouth (5-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk's defense stood tall in the top off the second to get out of a bases loaded jam and keep the Corsairs off the scoreboard.
After a three-up, three-down third on either side, the Rams bats finally took off. Payton Sylvester opened the inning with a walk and advanced to third on a double to left center by Jaclyn Flint. Three batters and two outs later, Devlin Frost matched the junior's hit for two bags with one of her own, but to right center instead. The double brought in both Rams' runners and Frost came home on Kelly Keane's double to center to stretch Suffolk's advantage to 3-0 after four complete frames.
The Rams defense backed up Payton Sylvester in the circle as she retired the side in the fifth and ended the sixth on a 13 double play. Payton Sylvester and Keane teamed up an inning later on their second double play of the day for the final two outs of the contest, clinching the 3-0 win for the Rams.
- Payton Sylvester went the full seven for the first time in her career. She secured the shutout with a four-hit, one-walk, one-strikeout outing.
- Hannah Smith went the distance for the Corsairs. The twirler suffered the setback as she allowed three runs on five hits and two walks, despite striking out six.
- Flint was the lone Ram to produce a multi-hit outing as the shortstop went 2-for-3 including one of Suffolk's three doubles. She was responsible for a third of the Rams' runs.
- Frost's double was good for two RBI with the centerfielder using Keane's double to score the final run for the Rams. Overall, Keane went 1-for-2 at the dish.
- At the plate, Payton Sylvester freshman contributed one walk and scored one run.
- Payton Sylvester recorded her second win of the season.
- Payton Sylvester put together the first complete-game shutout since Ali Yamakaitis kept Norwich off the scoreboard in a 4-0 GNAC playoff game May 4.
- Keane has hit doubles in back-to-back games.
Suffolk closes day three action at The Spring Games under the lights tonight versus Stockton. First pitch is anticipated for 7 p.m.