CLERMONT, Fla. – Suffolk softball's sixth-inning comeback was not enough as Pomona Pitzer used an early cushion to to take down the Rams, 8-3, Wednesday morning at Hancock Park at The Spring Games.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Pomona Pitzer 8
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-4) | Pomona Pitzer (9-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Sagehens put one on the board in the home half of the first and added a trio the next inning to quickly gain a four-run margin. Pomona Pitzer stretched its advantage to six behind a pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth.
Suffolk made its comeback in the top of the sixth as Ashley Zulla wore a pitch off the helmet to get on base. The sophomore right fielder took advantage of a wild pitch before taking third courtesy of a 43 ground out by Kelly Keane. McKenzie McGrath brought the outfielder in on a single down the left line and erase the shutout. Senior Madison Eucalitto and an error by Sagehens first basemen put McGrath into scoring position on third and the Rams' third baseman crossed home on Payton Sylvester's single. Eucalitto's run on Devlin Frost's single trimmed the margin in half, 6-3, after 5.5 innings.
A two-run homer by Ponoma Pitzer's Izzy Deatherage rebuilt a six-run cushion as the shortstop sent one over the fence and brought in another run with her to turn it into an 8-3 Sagehens contest at the end of the sixth.
The Rams loaded put two on as Zulla doubled and McKenzie walked. With two outs on the board, Eucalitto barreled the ball to left field, but Michelle Calcany Blair made the catch to seal the 8-3 setback for Suffolk.
- Three different twirlers worked the circle for the blue-and-gold. Payton Sylvester go the loss as the freshman let up four runs on four hits and two walks with one strikeout through 1.2 innings of work.
- Ali Yamakaitis saw the most action, 3.1 innings. The senior gave up two runs on four hits and sat down one batter.
- Constance Phelan closed the contest for the Rams. The Sagehens had two runs on two hits on the freshman, who struck out one batter.
- Alondra Reynoso earned the victory behind a no-run, six-hit, three-strikeout, one-walk effort in 5.0 frames.
- Lilly Weidhaas came out of Ponoma Pitzer's pen for the final 2.0 frames in which she gave up three runs on five hits and one walk.
- Zulla was perfect at the plate with a 3-for-3 effort including one double. She was responsible for one of Suffolk's runs.
- McGrath had a 2-for-3 outing with one RBI, one walk and one run on her stat line.
- Sydney Littlefield had a multi-hit performance (2), while Eucalitto, Frost, Delaney Sylvester and Payton Sylvester had one hit apiece.
- Frost and Payton Sylvester tallied recorded one RBI each with Eucalitto rounding out the Rams' run scorers with one to her credit.
- McGrath had her first multi-hit game of the season and collected the first RBI of her junior campaign.
- Eucalitto knocked her first hit of the season.
- Zulla contributed two doubles and three hits for the second time this year.
Suffolk wraps up the fourth day of play at The Spring Gams at approximately 11:30 a.m. against Bethany.