CLERMONT, Fla. – Anderson broke open a 1-all tie in the top of the seventh with three runs and the Suffolk softball team went down in order in the home half of the inning to seal the 4-1 decision in favor of the Ravens Thursday afternoon at Legends Way Park at The Spring Games.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Anderson 4
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-5) | Anderson (3-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The team's traded runs in the second with Suffolk scoring on a pair of doubles. Delaney Sylvester, who doubled to center, came in on McKenzie McGrath's two-base hit to left to even the playing field at 1-all.
Suffolk kept Anderson's runners on base in the third through sixth frames behind errorless defense and the finesse throwing of senior Ali Yamakaitis.
Behind a walk and two Rams fielding errors Anderson quickly loaded the bases. From there, the a single to right brought in the go-ahead run, while fielding error by Ashley Zulla, Suffolk's third of the inning, let two more runs in two batters later to put the blue-and-gold in a 4-1 hole heading into the bottom of the seventh.
The Ravens sat the Rams down in order to clinch the 4-1 Suffolk setback.
- Yamakaitis went the distance in the circle with the senior giving up four runs, one earned, on 10 hits and one walk, while striking out six hitters.
- Kacey Kaelin earned the victory behind a one-run, four-hit, one-walk, two-strikeout performance.
- Four different Rams accounted for Suffolk's four hits in Payton Sylvester (1-3), Delaney Sylvester (1-3), McGrath (1-3) and Grace Boehler (1-2).
- McGrath recorded Suffolk's lone RBI with Delaney Sylvester scoring the Rams' only run.
- Yamakaitis sat down a season-high six batters.
- McGrath pushed her hit-streak to four contests. Over that stretch, the junior third baseman has tallied eight hits in 12 plate appearances (.667) with two doubles and three RBI.
Suffolk heads back to New England where it is set to open its home and GNAC slate Saturday, March 24 versus Rivier in a doubleheader at East Boston Memorial Park.