PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Suffolk softball team racked up multiple runs in every inning to cruise past Anna Maria, 23-2, in the nightcap at Scots Miracle-Gro Athletic Complex Saturday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 23, Anna Maria 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (8-6, 3-1 GNAC) | Anna Maria (0-14, 0-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
A two-run jack by Devlin Frost in the top of the first started the scoring for Suffolk before Payton Sylvester went yard for the first time on the time in the second stanza and brought in a pair of runners with her to stretch the Rams cushion to 5-0.
A seven-run fourth saw Payton Sylvester's third consecutive three-RBI homer that turned the score to 16-0 in favor of Suffolk. The Rams went on to add four more runs after the rookie's third dinger of the day to gain a 20-run advantage.
Anna Maria put two runs up on the board in the home half of the fourth to turn the score into 20-3 after four complete innings.
Suffolk did more damage in the fifth with a trio of runs and Hannah DelCervopitched a scoreless inning of relief with two strikeouts to secure the win for the blue-and-gold.
- Payton Sylvester faced 16 hitters through 4.0 innings. The starter, who improved to 3-3, gave up two runs with one walk and three strikeouts.
- In one frame of relief, DelCervo saw five hits and sat down two, while allowing just one hit.
- Three different twirlers took the circle for Anna Maria. Victoria Falco suffered the setback after allowing 13 runs, seven earned, on 12 hits with two walks and one strikeout.
- Payton Sylvester had a day as the freshman pitcher went 5-for-5 at the plate with a trio of homers and one double for nine RBI, 15 total bases and five runs scored.
- Flint was also perfect at the plate as the junior went 4-for-4 with one jack and a pair of doubles for two RBI and four runs scored.
- Frost recorded four RBI with three hits, including one homer, to go along with a pair of runs.
- McKenzie McGrath's 2-for-2 effort with both hits good for two bases. The junior also walked once and scored in each of her on-base appearances.
Delaney Sylvester registered two hits, two RBI and two runs.
- Samantha Jacques collected a pair of RBI with one hit, one walk and scored one run.
- Madison Eucalitto contributed two hits, including one double, and scored twice.
- As a team, Suffolk had 24 hits, 21 RBI and 48 total bases.
- Suffolk remained undefeated all-time versus Anna Maria, moving to 14-0 versus the AMCATs all-time.
- The Rams took down the AMCATS by run-rule for the 10th time and sixth time in five innings.
- Suffolk's 24 hits are the most since knocking 28 in a 21-0 win over Pine Manor April 14, 2014.
- The Rams' 23 runs are the most in the Jaclyn Davis era and most since defeated Southern Vermont, 36-1, in game two of a doubleheader April 17, 2006.
- The Rams' 21 RBI tie the most with Jaclyn Davis on the bench, marking the most since 21 in a 21-0 shutout over Pine Manor April 14, 2014.
- Suffolk set a new total bases record under Jaclyn Davis with 48, upstaging the blue-and-gold's 41 versus in a 17-6 win over Lasell April 23, 2017.
- Suffolk's nine doubles mark the 30th time in CNAA DIII history a team has recorded nine or more doubles and just the second time a GNAC team accomplished the feat as Rivier did so March 31, 2012.
- Payton Sylvester became the 10th-ever player in NCAA DIII history to hit three consecutive home runs and first to accomplish the feat since Charlotte Park of Monmouth barreled four bombs in a row April 17, 2014.
- Payton Sylvester's 15 total bases are the most under Jaclyn Davis and mark the first time across NCAA DIII a player had 15 or more total bases since Charlotte Park of Monmouth did so April 17, 2014. Overall, Payton Sylvester is the eight-ever NCAA DIII player to have 15 total bases or more in one game.
- Payton Sylvester's career-day featured five hits, three homers, nine RBI and five runs scored.
- Payton Sylvester's three jacks in one game are the most by a single player in the Jaclyn Davis era.
- Eucalitto had a season-high two hits and two runs and hit her first double of her senior season.
- McGrath put together her second-straight game with three runs scored, which is a career-high, with her two doubles also marking a personal-best.
- Jacques first hit of the season was the first double of her collegiate career and she collected the first RBI of her collegiate career. She finished the game with two RBI.
- Flint produced career-highs in hits (4) and runs scored (4) and matched her personal-best in doubles (2).
- Holmes recorded her first hit of the season.
- Frost matched her career-highs in hits (3) and RBI (4) and matched her season-best runs scored with two.
- Cockroft produced her first collegiate hit, a double.
Suffolk steps up of conference play Tuesday, April 3 as it lifts the lid on its home slate versus Brandeis. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 3 p.m.