EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk softball team overcame a three-run deficit with a five-run fifth inning to take down Emmanuel, 6-3, in the doubleheader opener Saturday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 6, Emmanuel 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (17-6, 10-1 GNAC) | Emmanuel (12-12, 5-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
A three-RBI homer from Ashley Skey gave Emmanuel a three-run in the third. Delaney Sylvester responded with a solo shot in the home half of the fourth, but the Rams could not rally around the dinger to remain in a two-run hole after four frames.
Suffolk made its move in the fifth. Madison Eucalitto opened things up with a single, Payton Sylvester followed with a doubled and a successful bunt by Sydney Littlefield juiced the bags. One out later, Jaclyn Flint tied the ball game with a two-RBI single, before Ashley Zulla drew a walk with the bases loaded for the go-ahead run. The Saints secured the second out of the frame with the forced play at home, before an error by Emmanuel's second baseman let in a pair of runs to give Suffolk a 6-3 advantage.
Payton Sylvester served up a three-up, three-down sixth-inning to the Saints and the Rams defense backed up the Rams' rookie in the seventh to hold on to the 6-3 conference victory.
- Payton Sylvester (5-3) dealt a three-run, five-hit, 11-strikeout complete-game victory.
- Megan Kieselback gave up six runs, four earned, on eight hits and a trio of walks with five strikeouts.
- Payton Sylvester also shined at the plate for Suffolk with the freshman picking up a pair of hits, including one double, to score one run.
- Zulla put together a 2-for-2 effort with one double, one RBI and one run scored.
- Eucalitto completed the multi-hit performers for the blue-and-gold as the senior struck for a pair of hits and scored one run.
- Delaney Sylvester's lone hit of the afternoon went over the fence with the senior scoring one run and one RBI.
- Flint's only hit of the outing brought in the tying run as the junior earned a pair of RBI for the junior.
- Suffolk won its second straight game versus Emmanuel to improve to 41-20 all-time versus the Saints.
- The Rams opened their league schedule 10-1, marking the best start to conference contests since going 12-1 in 2016.
- Suffolk stretched its win streak to 12 straight, the most consecutive victories in a row since combining 16 triumphs together April 1-16, 2015.
- Payton Sylvester sat down a career-high 11 batters. The 11 Ks are the most by a Suffolk pitcher since Sarah Chasse fanned 12 versus Johnson State March 23, 2014.
- Payton Sylvester's pair of doubles are a personal-best for the freshman.
Suffolk and Emmanuel battle in game two at 2 p.m.