NEWTON, Mass. – The Suffolk softball team put together its 14th straight victory in shutout fashion as the Rams shutout Lasell, 10-0, in six innings Wednesday afternoon at Taylor Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 10, Lasell 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (19-6, 12-1 GNAC) | Lasell (5-18, 4-7 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Small balled allowed Suffolk to get on the board early as Payton Sylvester took advantage of an error by the Lasers shortstop to reach first and advance to second. A sac bunt by Sydney Littlefield pushed the Rams runner to third before broke open the scoring on a ground out.
An inning later, a cluster of hits extended the Rams lead to four. Ashley Zulla and McKenzie McGrath coupled singles together to set up Kelly Keane's RBI double. Madison Eucalitto followed with a single to score McGrath, before Keane used Payton Sylvester's double to center to come in, giving the blue-and-gold a 4-0 cushion.
In the fourth, a first and third situation allowed Suffolk to snipe home and make it a 5-0 margin.
Suffolk really did damage in the sixth to put the game away. Jaclyn Flint collected two RBI on a deep single to center that plated Eucalitto, who singled, and Littlefield, who wore a pitch, to start the scoring rally. With a new Lasell arm in the circle, an error by the Lasers shortstop kept the inning alive for the Rams and let Flint score, before McGrath's double to left brought in Delaney Sylvester, who singled, and Zulla to turn the distance into 10-0.
Ali Yamakaitis continued to impress in the home half of the sixth as the senior allowed just one base runner to hold on to the shutout victory for Suffolk.
- Yamakaitis earned her fifth victory of the season behind a five-hit, two-walk, four-strikeout, complete-game performance.
- Allie Borowsky let up eight runs, six earned, on 12 hits through 5.2 innings.
- Rachel Carlino came out of the pen for the Lasers, giving up two runs off two hits in just a third of an inning.
- Suffolk's bats combined for 14 hits with five different Rams having multiple hit days.
- Eucalitto had a day as the senior second baseman went 3-for-3 with one RBI and a pair of runs.
- McGrath contributed three hits in her four plates appearances. The junior third baseman had one double, two RBI and one run on her stat line.
- Zulla and the Sylvester sisters each had two hits apiece. Zulla tallied two RBI and one run with Payton Sylvester notching one RBI and one run. Delaney Sylvester completed the trio with one run scored.
- Suffolk extended its win streak to 14, marking the most consecutive victories since stringing 16 together April 1-16, 2015.
- The Rams opened their league slate 12-1 marking the best conference start since matching that to lift the lid on their league calendar in 2016.
- Suffolk won its seventh straight contest versus Lasell to improve to 14-9 all-time versus the Lasers.
- Yamakaitis put together her second complete-game shutout of the season and 10th of her career.
- McGrath matched career numbers in hits (3) and RBI (2).
- Eucalitto matched a career-best three hits.
Suffolk and Lasell wrap up the two-game conference series this evening.