EAST BOSTON – Devlin Frost's walk-off homer in the eighth inning lifted Suffolk softball to an 8-6 win over Albertus Magnus to open the GNAC double feature Saturday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 8, Albertus Magnus 6
RECORDS: Suffolk (22-7, 15-2 GNAC) | Albertus Magnus (20-10, 13-4 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Over the first six stanzas Suffolk built a five-run margin. The Rams were three outs away from securing the victory, but a bobble by the blue-and-gold's shortstop allowed the Falcons pinch hitter Aubrey DeFoe reach first successfully. With one down a base hit by Madison Murphy kept the inning alive. Another missed played ball by the Rams kept the inning going before Albertus Magnus' bat came alive and leveled the playing field.
McKenzie McGrath got on base in the bottom of the seventh as the junior third baseman drew a base on balls with two outs, but she was kept there as the Falcons forced the extra frame in Suffolk's next at bat.
Payton Sylvester came into deal and Albertus Magnus managed to take advantage of the freshman arm with one run to grab a 6-5 edge.
Madison Eucalitto was placed on second to start off Suffolk's portion of the eighth and moved to third thanks to Grace Boehler's sac bunt. Payton Sylvester leveled the playing field at 6-all as the freshman's sac fly to center brought the tying-run in. Sydney Littlefield walked before Frost's homer heroics followed to push the Rams to the 8-6 victory.
- In one inning of relief work, Payton Sylvester earned the win after giving up just one run on one hit with a pair of strikeouts.
- Suffolk's starter, Yamakaitis, allowed five runs, two earned, on five hits and one walk with four Ks through 7.0 frames.
- Similar to Suffolk, Albertus Magnus used two different arms inside the circle. Fallon Spears slipped after let up three runs, two earned, on two hits and a pair of walks in 2.2 innings of action.
- Laura Anderson also twirled for the Falcons. In 5.0 innings, the starter allowed five runs, four earned, off seven hits and two walks with two punchouts.
- Frost truly had a day as the senior centerfielder went 3-for-5 with all three of her hits going for extra bases – two doubles and the game-winning dinger. She produced two RBI and scored three times.
- McGrath also had a multi-hit affair with a 2-for-3 effort, which featured one double, to go along with one run.
- Delaney Sylvester notched one hit and brought in two runs.
- Payton Sylvester contributed three RBI off her lone hit, a double.
- Suffolk won its fifth straight game versus Albertus Magnus to move to 34-15 all-time versus the Falcons.
- Suffolk and Albertus Magnus needed extra time to decide a winner for the second straight meeting with the Rams winning both including last season's 9-2, eight-inning win-or-go-home GNAC semifinal bout. Overall, the Rams and Falcons have met in extra-innings just two times. Suffolk has taken both such meetings.
- Suffolk played in its first extra-inning game of 2018 and first since May 7, 2017, a 9-2, eight-inning win over Albertus Magnus in the GNAC semifinals.
- The Rams' six-member senior class – Madison Eucalitto, Devlin Frost, Taylor Holmes, Sydney Littlefield, Delaney Sylvesterand Ali Yamakaitis – won their 109th game together to become the all-time winningest Suffolk Softball Class in the program's 33-year history.
- Frost's three hits match a season-high for the senior as she also produced a campaign-best three runs.
Suffolk and Albertus Magnus conclude the two-game series this afternoon.