EAST BOSTON – Payton Sylvester hit a go-ahead grand slam and came on as a relief arm to lead Suffolk softball past Saint Joseph's (Maine), 11-6, in the nightcap of a GNAC double feature Tuesday night at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 11, Saint Joseph's (Maine) 6
RECORDS: Suffolk (25-7, 18-2 GNAC) | Saint Joseph's (Maine) (14-16, 10-8 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk fell behind early. The Monks scored once in the first before rattling off four runs in the fourth to put the Rams in a five-run hole.
The Rams began to make up ground in the home half of fourth. Devlin Frost's leadoff walk was followed by an error by the Monks' second baseman that put runners on first and second. Delaney Sylvester sent a single to center to push Jaclyn Flint to second and score Frost to put Suffolk on the scoreboard. Back-to-back RBI singles from McKenzie McGrath and Madison Eucalitto cut the deficit to two. Grace Boehler drew a walk to juice the bags and set up Payton Sylvester's grand slam heroics. St. Joe's Kristal Smith in to deal, but the fresh arm was no match for the rookie that blasted a shot to left center to clear the bases, flipping the switch and put the Rams ahead by two, 7-5.
SJC trimmed the margin back to one in the fifth, but not for long as Delaney Sylvester's solo shot opened the home half of the fifth to regain a two-run cushion for the hosts.
The Rams kept the Monks quiet in the sixth before adding three insurance runs to make it an 11-6 Suffolk score after six complete innings.
Payton Sylvester served up a three-up, three-down final frame to secure the win and series sweep for the Rams.
- Payton Sylvester came in to secure the win for the Rams. The relief winning effort featured one run on two hits, two walks with five strikeouts.
- Taylor Holmes started the game for Suffolk and allowed five runs on eight hits and two walks and fanned four hitters.
- After giving up the grand slam Smith suffered the setback. The twirler who went 2/3 in the fourth let up the go-ahead run on two hits.
- Kate Whiteny (3.1 IP, 6 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 2 Ks) and Caitlyn King (2.0 IP, 4 R, 5 H, 2 Ks) also saw time on the rubber for SJC.
- At the plate, Payton Sylvester went 3-for-4 with a pair of extra base hits – double and homer – for four RBI and two runs scored.
- Delaney Sylvester contributed two runs, one jack, two RBI and one run.
- Frost had a 2-for-3 showing at the dish with one double, two runs and one RBI.
- Ashley Zulla completed the Rams' foursome with two hits with a 2-for-4 effort.
- Suffolk defeated Saint Joseph's (Maine) for the third straight meeting.
- The Rams won 18 GNAC contests for the first time since 2016 and fourth time overall.
- Suffolk swept the Monks for the first time since 2016.
- Payton Sylvester became the first Ram to smack a grand slam since Lindsay Pagano '17 did so in the GNAC playoffs last season, May 4, 2018 at Saint Joseph's (Maine) lead the blue-and-gold over the Monks, 5-2.
- Delaney Sylvester hit a homer for the second straight game for the second time this season and fourth time overall.
- Payton Sylvester pushed her hit streak to 21 games.
Suffolk and Saint Joe's cap off the two-game series under the lights tonight in Eastie.