BOSTON – Suffolk softball's bats came alive to overcome a game-one setback and spark a 14-6 run-rule, six-inning victory over Emmanuel in the nightcap of a GNAC series Thursday night at Clemente Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 14 | Emmanuel 6
RECORDS: Suffolk (16-13, 6-2 GNAC) | Emmanuel (18-12, 9-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk fell in a two-run hole after Emmanuel punched a pair of runs on the board in the bottom of the second. A two-out rally by the Rams in the third flipped the scripted in the blue-and-gold's favor, however, as it rattled off six runs to go in front, 6-2.
Caitlin Murphy kept the inning alive with a single, stole second during Grace Boehler's at bat and swiped third with Boehler drew a base on balls. Four consecutive singles scored one run apiece before the Saints' made a pitching change. The hits continued to come for Suffolk off the new arm as McKenzie McGrath knocked a one-run single to left to score Kelly Keane, before Brooke Cloak capitalized on a wild pitch to plate the Rams' sixth run of the stanza.
An inning later, Suffolk stretched its advantage to 9-2. With the bags juiced, Keane knocked a double to right field to clear the bases to give the Rams a seven-run cushion.
Emmanuel kept things interesting with a four-run home half of the fifth to pull back within striking distance, 9-6.
Another scoring frenzy came for Suffolk in the sixth. With no outs and all the ducks in the pond Jaclyn Flint brought in two runs on a double and two batters later Clock brought in Ashley Zulla on a single. A bases loaded hit by pitch and walk each allowed one runner to score and set-up the run-rule, 14-6, for the Rams.
The Saints looked to eliminate the eight-run distance, but Kennedy Reyes secured two quick outs including a lead-off swinging strikeout. Emmanuel looked to make its out two-out rally with a walk followed by a single, but the force out at third during Yuleska's Ramirez-Tejeda's at bat locked up the final out of the frame and the victory.
- Reyes recorded the win with a five-run (four earned), five-hit, one-punchout performance over 4.0 innings of work.
- Hannah DelCervo tossed 2.0 frames of relief with one run allowed on one hit and four walks with two Ks.
- Saints' starter Olivia Burgos let up six runs on six hits and one walk with one strikeout in 2.2 innings.
- Mikaela Montemagni came in to twirl the final 3.1 frames in which she allowed eight runs (five earned) on seven hits and four walks with a pair of punchouts.
- Keane powered Suffolk's 13-hit performance as the sophomore connected for 3-for-4 with one double for four RBI and one run scored.
- Murphy went 2-for-3 at the dish with two runs scored, one RBI and three stolen bases.
- Zulla scored three runs, had two hits and tallied one RBI.
- Flint registered three RBI, two hits, two runs and one walk.
- Cloak tallied two hits, two RBI and two runs.
- Suffolk improved to 44-21 versus Emmanuel in the all-time series.
- The Rams moved to 11-5 against the Saints in the Jaclyn Davis era.
- Murphy matched a career-high three stolen bases.
- Keane matched a personal-best four RBI.
- Reyes improved to 7-3 in the circle.
- Cloak notched a career-high two RBI and two runs scored.
- Flint matched a season-high three RBI.
Suffolk is set to play at East Boston Memorial Park Saturday, April 20 when Albertus Magnus stops by for the Ram's Senior Day. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m.