BOSTON – The Suffolk women's basketball team put together its largest victory in two years as the Rams defeated Simmons, 81-50, in the consolation contest of Emerson's Tip-Off Tournament Sunday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 81, Simmons 50
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-1) | Simmons (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The contest was a see-saw affair over the opening five minutes, before Suffolk ended the first frame on a 6-2 stretch to take a 14-8 lead.
The second stanza featured the teams trading hoops for the majority of the 10 minutes and the Rams took a 29-20 cushion into half time.
Suffolk quietly built its lead to nearly 20 points in the third, 53-33, and truly put the game out of reach in the opening of the fourth frame to walk away with the 81-50 victory.
- Two Rams powered the offense that saw all, but two of its 14 players record a point.
- Georgia Bourikas paved the way with a game-high 15 points, shooting 5-of-7 from the floor including a perfect 4-of-4 performance from three-point range. She added four rebounds, two assists and one steal to her all-tournament team performance.
- Alexis Hackett shot 100 percent on the day, going 5-for-5 from the field for a career-high 11 points off the bench. The freshman added three rebounds, three assists and one steal to her effort.
- Classmate Katelyn Rourke had a career-day of her own with the freshman grabbing a game and career-best on the glass with nine boards. She pitched in seven points, two handouts, two steals and one swat.
- As a team Suffolk shot 47.4 percent (27-57) from the field, 40.0 percent (4-10) from three-point range and 82.1 percent (23-28) from the line.
- The Rams held a commanding lead on the glass, outrebounding the Sharks, 55-22.
- The win marked the largest for Suffolk since the blue and gold's 2014-15 season opener when they defeated Yeshiva, 96-49, for a 47-point victory.
Suffolk heads to Colby Sawyer Tuesday, Nov. 22 for a pre-Thanksgiving day contest. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m.