BOSTON – Three different Rams poured in double figures and two notched double-double efforts as the Suffolk women's basketball team cruised past Rivier, 85-53, Thursday night inside Regan Gymnasium for its seventh straight victory.
SCORE: Suffolk 85, Rivier 53
RECORDS: Suffolk (12-5, 7-1 GNAC) | Rivier (3-11, 1-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rivier broke open a 5-5 to take an 8-5 lead at the 5:50 minute mark. The edge was shortlived as the Rams ended the first 10 minutes on a 9-3 run to go ahead, 14-12 at the end of the first quarter.
Once again the Raiders found themselves in front, 19-14 to open the second stanza. Suffolk powered through locking the game at 19-all with 6:33 on the clock. The lead would exchange once more before the Rams took control the rest of the way, outscoring the visitors 15-3 down the stretch to bring a 36-23 cushion into the locker rooms.
It turned into the Suffolk show in the third quarter as the Rams turned up the momentum to take a 66-45 advantage into the final frame. Suffolk brought its motion into the final frame and handled any comeback attempt from Rivier to grab the 85-53 victory.
- Caitlyn Caramello's 17 points paced Suffolk on the offensive end with the senior forward going 5-for-11 from the field, and 6-for-10 at the charity stripe. The reserve grabbed 10 rebounds, five on either end in just 20 minutes on the hardwood.
- Kelsey Schiebel contributed 15 points, four assists, and three rebounds. The floor general was potent from three-point range, going 2-for-3 to go along with a 3-for-4 performance at the charity stripe.
- Alexandra Clarke put together a 14-point, 11-board day on a 75 percent connection rate from the floor. The senior forward chipped in two steals and one block to well-balanced effort.
- Katelyn Rourke was two points shy of a double-double with the rookie tallying 11 rebounds, seven of which came on the defensive end, and eight points along with three blocks, one handout and one block.
- Suffolk finished the day shooting 42.6 percent (29-68) from the floor, 33.3 percent (3-9) on the long ball and 72.7 percent (24-33) at the line.
- The Rams outrebound the Raiders, 65-28.
- Suffolk's seventh straight win marks the longest win streak for the Rams since rattling off eight wins Jan. 17 – Feb. 5, 2011.
- The second-semester opening streak is the longest for the blue-and-gold since winning 11 straight to start the latter portion of its schedule during the 2000-01 season.
- The Rams won their third straight over the Raiders to move to 22-5 all-time versus River.
- The 32-point win over the Raiders is the largest margin of victory over the Raiders since defeating Rivier by 38, 84-46, Jan. 29, 2011.
- Suffolk's 65 rebounds are the most by the blue-and-gold since grabbing 80 in an 84-68 triumph over Pine Manor Jan. 7, 2016.
- Clarke recorded her first collegiate double-double, while Caramello registered her fourth of the year and sixth overall.
- Clarke's 11 rebounds match a season-high for the Boothbay Harbor, Maine, product.
- Laina Dowd, who chipped in two points, pulled down her first collegiate rebound in the contest.
- Jordan Pettograsso matched a career-best four points to go along with three caroms, one assist and one takeaway.
- Shannon Smith matched a career-best five rebounds in the win. The sophomore also recorded four points and one steal.
Suffolk brings its seven-game win streak on the road Saturday, Jan. 21 when it visits Mt. Ida for a 1 p.m. showdown.