MAHWAH, N.J. – The Suffolk women's basketball team collected its first win of the 2017-18 season in scoring fashion as the Rams rolled over Saint Joseph's (Brooklyn), 90-45, to open action at Ramapo's Roadrunner Tip-Off Tournament Friday evening at the Bradley Center.
SCORE: Suffolk 90, St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) 45
RECORD: Suffolk (1-1) | St. Joseph's (Brooklyn (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk took a 26-15 advantage after the first quarter and put on cruise control from there as the Rams turned a 55-28 half-time lead into a 75-40 cushion after 30 minutes of play. The blue-and-gold sealed up the with, outscoring the Bears, 15-5, in the final frame for 90-45 margin.
- All 10 Rams who saw action in the contest contributed to Suffolk's 90 points anchored by Marissa Gudauskas' 16-point performance. The sophomore shot 6-fot-7 from the floor including an impressive 4-for-5 effort from behind-the-arc in a reserve effort. The guard added three rebounds, two assists and two steals to her stat line.
- Gabriella DeComo produced 15 points on a 5-for-9 night, knocking down both three's she attempted and was perfect 3-for-3 from the foul line. DeComo grabbed eight rebounds and dished out three assists off the bench.
- Shannon Smith and Jenni-Rose DiCecco each provided 10 points. The pair did not miss from the floor as Smith went 5-for-5, while DiCecco went 4-for-4. DiCecco was one assist shy of a double-double effort, as the freshman floor general setup nine shots.
- Jordan Hipwell matched DeComo's eight boards and added eight points.
- Suffolk and St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) met for the first time.
- The Rams' 90 points mark the most for the blue-and-gold since defeating Wentworth, 92-46 Nov. 28, 2016.
- Six Rams notched career highs
- Hipwell points (8), rebounds (8) and blocks
- DiCecco assists (9)
- Gudauskas points (16)
- Smith points (10)
- Blazejowski points (9), assists (2) and steals (1)
- DeComo points (8), rebounds (8) and assists (3)
- Stephanie Langlais points (2), rebounds (4) and blocks (1)
- Langlais made her collegiate debut.
Suffolk will face tournament hosts Ramapo in the Roadrunner Tip-Off Tournament Championship Saturday, Nov. 18 at the Bradley Center.